Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need some input on International sales

Need some input on International sales

I need some facts, not just fear driven opinions please. Just had an inquiry from the Czech Republic about purchasing some items. Red flag goes up instantly but I need to know facts and what if any risk there really is.

I would like to know if you were able to send me one of your plans to the Czech Republic (together with some other stuff like some fabric for skin, artificial sinew and footrest brackets. I am rather conservative, so I dont have a credit card, which I could use for a payment via internet. Is it possible please to send you the money by bank tranfer from my bank account?
    Anyone know the facts on bank to bank transfers? Obviously I will do some homework and talk to my bank. Just thought someone might have some experience in the matter. I have done a fair amount of international sales but always credit card.

Yes, it sounds suspicious. However I was looking on the my web hosting account early today and was surprised to see that I have a lot Czech visitors to the site. And I see a similar name showing up in CZ rafting and kayaking pages when I do a Google Search. Email address is often close but appears to be altered display on a couple of related forums. So the guy might be legit?
    God grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway,
    the good fortune to run into the ones I do,
    and the eyesight to tell the difference.

Kudzu Craft Lightweight Skin on frame Kayaks.
    Custom built boats and Kits

Is there a service like western union to transfer funds from there? I sure would not be comfortable giving most anyone my account number to transfer funds to.

Chris Hatfield is offline Former Member (by the member's request)
    Two factors I would weigh first and foremost:

1) if it turns out to be a scam, is it going to be an amount that you are willing to lose as a life lesson?

2) who would be going information to whom? If you have to give your account number an routing information to someone over the phone, walk away. If it's done in your branch and they are supplying the information to a known entity, then that's different.

As someone who got burned on an international business venture, choose wisely. Luckily I did it via credit card and got reimbursed.

Let get this clear before I get 50 replies warning me.

I am not stupid enough to give out my account numbers

Just thought someone might have some experience and know the facts. I will be checking with my bank Monday. Obviously there are ways to do this safely, it happens every day. Just wondering if anyone had any experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Horton View Post

Just thought someone might have some experience and know the facts. I will be checking with my bank Monday. Obviously there are ways to do this safely, it happens every day. Just wondering if anyone had any experience.

Sorry Jeff that was not my insinuation.

NO NO!! that was not aimed at either of your comments!!

I just know if I don't say that what will happen. I will have a ton of replies warning me of the dangers and I am well aware of that.

I am always cautious on international credit card sales!

I have a simple moto "Trust no one".

Excuses and exceptions to the norm from foreign 'possible' customers is a huge red flag for me. I have been burned and have backed out of several fishy appearing deals. He may not have a credit card but he could open a Pay Pal account.
    Wire and bank transfers are possible but they are very costly.
    Another red flag, for me, is when, as the transaction proceeds the customers command of English seems to deteriorate. Sometimes it gets to the point you don't know what they mean. And that is the intent, confusion is a scam in the making.
    BTW, I have had many-many successful and happy overseas transactions. I do not paint with a broad brush.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Horton View Post

Jeff,
    You are headed in the right direction... I did lots of international trading when I was working... mostly in letters of credit, which probably would cost more to negotiate and handle than your transaction will call for...my transactions were in 6 and 7 figures on the L/C's .. a few hundred dollars in transaction fees didn't affect the outcome so much..... best bet will be to work with your bank, especially if they have an international department.... there is a document called a draft... effectively, it's an international check drawn between banks and sometimes used for smaller transactions.

An example, I had an email last week from a guy interested in one of my bowls.... he more or less described the bowl, but then asked the price and if I took credit cards and if I shipped to the UAE.... I use a paypal shopping cart with credit card capabilities and each bowl has an item number distinctive to each bowl... he only had to read the terms and conditions on the website... I think he was fishing.

if it's a legit deal, the guy will be pretty specific in what he's looking for... if he's just fishing for information and trying a scam, I find the emails and correspondence to be a little vague.... rather than get lots of varying stories and concepts, do what you instinct is telling you to do... work with your bank.
    Chuck
    Tellico Plains, TN
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/TellicoTurnings
    My parents taught me to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find any.
    If you go looking for trouble, it will usually find you.

I would never do anything by bank transfer, ever.
    Paypal isn't the best, but at least you have *some* protection
    here is the info for czech republic
    Dragon's Paradox - ** working on updates ** Custom and One Of A Kind Heirloom Quality Hand Crafted Jewelry & Gifts

Chris Hatfield is offline Former Member (by the member's request)
    Quote Originally Posted by KaLea Thoits View Post
    I would never do anything by bank transfer, ever.
    Paypal isn't the best, but at least you have *some* protection
    here is the info for czech republic
    I have that rule too, but I may have to break it next week. I am bidding on something from IRS Auctions and wire transfer is one of the options.