Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Marine Stabbed by Suspected Shoplifter

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix

Marine Stabbed by Suspected Shoplifter

I just love stories with a happy ending

November 27, 2010

Associated Press

AUGUSTA, Ga. - A U.S. Marine reservist collecting toys for children was stabbed when he helped stop a suspected shoplifter in eastern Georgia.

Best Buy sales manager Orvin Smith told The Augusta Chronicle that man was seen on surveillance cameras Friday putting a laptop under his jacket at the Augusta store.

When confronted, the man became irate, knocked down an employee, pulled a knife and ran toward the door. Outside were four Marines collecting toys for the service branch's "Toys For Tots" program.

Smith said the Marines stopped the man, but he stabbed one of them, Cpl. Phillip Duggan, in the back. The cut did not appear to be severe.

The suspect was transported to the local hospital with two broken arms, a broken leg, possible broken ribs, assorted lacerations and bruises he obtained when he fell trying to run after stabbing the Marine.

The suspect, whose name was not released, was held until police arrived. The Richmond County Sheriff's office said it is investigating.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Amherst, New Hampshire
    I love it !!!!!!!!!
    Faith, Hope & Charity

RETIRED(!) in Austintown, Ohio
    Don't mess with us! You might fall down - a lot!

USMC, Retired.
    Jim D.

GTA Ontario Canada
    Good story Don. they should have had him fall on his own blade and saved everybody a lot of trouble looking after him.

The real sad thing is in October this year, a shopkeeper in downtown Toronto ended up being charged after making a citizens arrest of a shoplifter trying to flee his shop with stolen goods. He ended up in court being charged with assault and forcible confinement. The judge let him go but only because of the uproar the whole excercise caused in the media.

The party arrested was a known career criminal.

The press claim he was a target of vigilante justice from shopkeepers.

He is also a known cocaine addict.

I cannot get my mind around this kind of logic that gives people who break the law more rights than the victim. Can you imagine the lawsuites here if this guy had met the fate of the guy in your story.

What's the saying "its a mad mad world".

Santa Claus, In
    Good on the Marines for taking care of business.
    Last edited by Steve Southwood; 12-13-2010 at 04:11 PM.

Buse Township MN
    Great story

I hope that it is really true!
    Every child deserves a family. Adopt. Foster. Get involved.

Syracuse, Nebraska
    "He stepped on a bar of soap, Sir"

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Stratton View Post
    Great story

I hope that it is really true!
    All is true, except for the part about the suspect sustaining any injuries, that part is embellishment.
    “When love and skill work together, expect a masterpiece.” - John Ruskin
    “Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.” - Oscar Wilde

Inside the Beltway
    Nice, except for the part about the broken bones, which was added as this got forwarded around. Here's the original story:

ABQ NM
    I liked the pretend ending better.

But Rob's right...if the Marines had actually given the guy what he deserved, all four of them would have been brought up on assault charges.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan