christmas gift

Here's a couple of hamburger presses I made for a lady I work with. She has one that belonged to her mom I used as a pattern. She asked me if I could make 3 for her for gifts. The wood is cherry.

Attachments

• press 001 (Medium).jpg
    press 001 (Medium).jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 51
  • press 002 (Medium).jpg
    press 002 (Medium).jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 61
Those are nicer than the plates I flip over, wax paper and squash with another plate..... but I like my patties BIG and thin for grillin....:thumb:
Good job on those, and nice wood!
mj

Those are nicer than the plates I flip over, wax paper and squash with another plate..... but I like my patties BIG and thin for grillin....:thumb:
Good job on those, and nice wood!
mj

Michael, I use a couple of heavy saucers to smash out my patties. I'm always afraid with my luck one will break and I'll gash myself. I need to make one for myself.

She said that they always put a plastic bag over each half so the wood doesn't come in contact with the meat.

Here's how I made them. If anyone can think of a better way please share.

1. I roughed out each half on the bandsaw.

2. I used double sided tape on a glue block to hold the piece in a chuck. I use a 3/4 inch piece of wood on the live center so I don't damage the face. I use the tail stock to help support the piece as I turn it round.

3. I use a parting tool to set the depth of the outside of the hollow and then I use a square carbide rougher to hollow the inside. I have to remove the tail stock to do this so I have to be careful.

4. I do the same with the other side. I set the diameter of the tenon with a parting tool. I cut from the outside in till I get the thickness/depth of the tenon.

5. I stack the pieces together and use the miter saw to cut a flat for the hinges to rest on. I face mounted the hinges. The one she let me use for the pattern had a face mounted hinge and they had been using it since the 70's. It only had two screws in each leaf and had worked fine. I went with a hinge with four screws.