Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Oh lonesome me......

Oh lonesome me......

Haven't spun my Griz in about three months.
    This is an 'in progress' project. Very lonesome just waiting to be made into something that (hopefully) will be beautiful.
    It will be a chalice for a relief carving to be hung in my church. The carving will be partly a turning also.
    The clunky square blocks at the end are so I can cut the chalice in half, down the center, after the turning is finished.
    It will then be glued to the board with a host and some heavenly rays for effect. I haven't done much carving for a long time and hope the finished product is as nice as I am visualizing.
    BTW, reason I haven't worked in my shop for a while is because of the rotator cuff (shoulder) surgery I had. Recovery and therapy is coming along great. I have excellent range of motion and am still pain free. Two more weeks and I can begin strength exercises. The lathe is still forbidden.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails work on lathe.jpg  
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    great start Frank, I'll be watching to see how it turns out. Are you going to guild the chalice ?
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Frank

Did you put newspaper between the halves while gluing up, or are you going to use a band saw to cut it?

Reason I am asking is someone showed me how to turn 2 blocks glued together and then separate them to get 2 perfect halves.

Just curious

Quote Originally Posted by Dom DiCara View Post
    Frank

Did you put newspaper between the halves while gluing up, or are you going to use a band saw to cut it?

Reason I am asking is someone showed me how to turn 2 blocks glued together and then separate them to get 2 perfect halves.

Just curious
    I learned about the paper technique after I glued up.

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by Don Baer View Post
    great start Frank, I'll be watching to see how it turns out. Are you going to guild the chalice ?
    Not with gold leaf. Just plan to spray with gold colored paint and, mebbe, a clear coat over that.

Frank good to hear ya are a healing. Won't be long now.
    Bernie W.

Retirement: That’s when you return from work one day
    and say, “Hi, Honey, I’m home – forever.”

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Vancouver Island, Courtenay/Comox Valley, British Columbia
    That's great Frank. Sounds like you're having an awesome day.....
    AKA Young Grasshopper Woodworker
    AKA The Rookie

Great to hear you're healing up nicely.
    Looking forward to seeing the completed chalice.

Les
    Innovation is the process that renews something that already exists and not, as is commonly assumed, the introduction of something new.

I'll echo what Les said.

On the gold chalice, I think your idea of gold paint with a clear coat could look nice. I did a pedestal recently for a bowl and wanted a glossy black finish. I did a few coats of black spray paint, then a number of coats of gloss lacquer. Wet sanded smooth with 600 grit and buffed with PL compound, it came out looking great. (The pedestal needs adjustment, but the color was what I was after.)
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

I read the title of this thread and thought that your wife had left you all alone again, I was going to suggest your daughter drop them dogs off to keep you company

Good to hear you are healing, keep up the work on that, and do what they say!!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward