Oh lonesome me......

Frank Fusco

Haven't spun my Griz in about three months. :(
This is an 'in progress' project. Very lonesome just waiting to be made into something that (hopefully) will be beautiful.
It will be a chalice for a relief carving to be hung in my church. The carving will be partly a turning also.
The clunky square blocks at the end are so I can cut the chalice in half, down the center, after the turning is finished.
It will then be glued to the board with a host and some heavenly rays for effect. I haven't done much carving for a long time and hope the finished product is as nice as I am visualizing.
BTW, reason I haven't worked in my shop for a while is because of the rotator cuff (shoulder) surgery I had. Recovery and therapy is coming along great. I have excellent range of motion and am still pain free. Two more weeks and I can begin strength exercises. The lathe is still forbidden.

Attachments

• work on lathe.jpg
    work on lathe.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 124
Frank

Did you put newspaper between the halves while gluing up, or are you going to use a band saw to cut it?

Reason I am asking is someone showed me how to turn 2 blocks glued together and then separate them to get 2 perfect halves.

Just curious

I'll echo what Les said.

On the gold chalice, I think your idea of gold paint with a clear coat could look nice. I did a pedestal recently for a bowl and wanted a glossy black finish. I did a few coats of black spray paint, then a number of coats of gloss lacquer. Wet sanded smooth with 600 grit and buffed with PL compound, it came out looking great. (The pedestal needs adjustment, but the color was what I was after.)

I read the title of this thread and thought that your wife had left you all alone again, I was going to suggest your daughter drop them dogs off to keep you company :D

Good to hear you are healing, keep up the work on that, and do what they say!! :wave:

Had a follow-up visit on my shoulder progress this week. Good news, I am released to do resistance exercises to bring the muscles back to normal strength. The good looking, red headed, lady Doc I had said I can lift weight up to the limit of "comfort". Otherwise I can start actually using my arm again for normal activities that don't over stress the operated on muscles. I am very happy about that. As soon as possible I'm going back in to the shop and resume work on this project. I'll still be very careful not to exceed the "comfort" thing but I'm fairly sure lathe work will be OK.
Color me happy. :D

Thanks all. The recovery part is a rough road to travel. A lot of people have been through the rotator cuff surgery and know what I am saying.
I was fortunate to learn from the misteaks of others. My son, a doctor, was one of them. He didn't pay attention to his doctor's orders and suffered. He had to be re-repaired twice.
And, this last trip the nice lady doc I saw did the same thing when she had her rotator surgery. And she is a teaching ortho surgeon specializing in shoulders.
She admitted her attitude was "I know better". She didn't, we all heal at about the same rate regardless of occupation.
It was, still is, a depressing experience letting the left arm be useless while others were doing chores I could have normally been doing myself.
If y'all have this surgery, think of the doctor as your Momma. Do what you are told.

Great to hear you are getting back to normal.:thumb: I didn't have the rotator cuff surgery, just bobbed and scraped some bones that were rubbing and still had 8 weeks recovery, released on Dec. 30. Still want to be cautious about over doing it. Like you said, the Doctor is you mother....pay attention. Looking forward to finished pics of your turning project.