KM1 Kerf Maker anyone have one

Rob Keeble

Seems to me this could be a real handy little tool for what i came unstuck making last week in my shop.

I was cutting a half lap but the width of the joint was wider than my dado. So needed to sneek up on the second edge to get a tight fit.

Looking at this it seems it would take the guess work out of it.

Here is a you tube video on it

Ok so for the questions

Anyone have one of these and actually use it after having played with it initially.

Any other ideas on how to get a half lap cut done accurately when its a piece 1 and 1/4 inch lapping onto another piece of wood same thickness different width?

show me what your up to rob??? that quilt rack i made had a good sized half lap in it.. but that little tool looks slick but i bets its pricey bridecity tools arent cheap..i would think some good meaurments would get you there as well:huh:

Yeah Larry you dead right but i saw a thread on another guys site where he made one. I like making my own but wondered about the use and value of this as opposed to just measuring etc.

That's cool. Don't know if it's 65 bucks worth of cool, though... ;)

There must be a cheaper way. Mine would get lost in the shop... :doh:

Thanks,

Bill

Actually 72$ Plus Shipping. The 65$ is a 'Founders' price and requires you join some kind of club...

I am with you Rob and everyone else that commented. A homemade jig could be made pretty easy and get the same results.

I usually just make sure measurements are accurate, and use a table saw.

Just my 2 cents worth

I do like the idea of making a home-made version. It doesn't seem to be all that difficult to understand what it does. Basically a story stick that takes into account the kerf...

Ahh, if I can ever get anytime to to just get in the shop and messaround. Hopefully I will over the next 2 weeks.

Okay... Using the link to Bricofleur's site, I made what is essentially a copy of his jig - and it works beautifully! The whole thing took me about 40 minutes to make, using some scraps of maple and cherry, and some miscellaneous hardware I already had on hand. Take a look:

Attachments

• DSCN0677 (Custom).JPG
    DSCN0677 (Custom).JPG
    53.6 KB · Views: 30
  • DSCN0679 (Custom).JPG
    DSCN0679 (Custom).JPG
    55.9 KB · Views: 28
  • DSCN0680 (Custom).JPG
    DSCN0680 (Custom).JPG
    55.5 KB · Views: 30
  • DSCN0681 (Custom).JPG
    DSCN0681 (Custom).JPG
    66 KB · Views: 28
Okay... Using the link to Bricofleur's site, I made what is essentially a copy of his jig - and it works beautifully! The whole thing took me about 40 minutes to make, using some scraps of maple and cherry, and some miscellaneous hardware I already had on hand. Take a look:

Awesome. Looks like a great way to save a bunch-o-bucks! :thumb:

Thanks for the link, I was thinking about making one as the real thing is pricey.

The guy who's site you linked to is Serge Duclos (sp) and his name appears almost every month in one of the woodworking magazines tips sections.