Puzzle Stocking Stuffers

Dan Mooney

Back in the '70's I was looking thru a wooden puzzle book, they had a picture, (drawing actually) of a puzzle piece. They said if you make 12 identical pieces, you could put them together into a cube. Took me about 2 hours to figure out how to put it together the first time, been making them ever since. they make nice stocking stuffers. This one the pieces are ¾" square and 4½" long, but you could use any size square stock, I still have to put a finish on these.

Make 12 of these...
attachment.php

To make one of these.
attachment.php

Attachments

• Puzzle.01.jpg
    Puzzle.01.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 313
  • Puzzle.02.jpg
    Puzzle.02.jpg
    149.5 KB · Views: 308
Last edited:
Dan, thanks for the edit on the sizes, it looks like the dados would also be 3/4" if the stock is 3/4" too, right?

You realize that if I make some of these I'll most likely spend a LOT more than two hours trying to figure out how it all goes together :eek: :D

Cheers!

That is very cool, can you give us some more details?

Sizes would be nice, looks like a job for the Dado set :D

I hope this will make sense, I'm better at doing than explaining :D

This gives the basic dimensions, but any size can be used as long as the stock is square.
attachment.php

I made a sled and set the width of the dado blade the same width as the stock.
attachment.php

I use a centerline on the sled and the stock.
attachment.php

Cut the center dado
attachment.php

attachment.php

Rotate the stock 90 degrees toward you cut right dado
attachment.php

attachment.php

Then trim the ends to the length that suites your eye.
attachment.php

I made a tray to hold all the pieces together for sanding, that makes it easy to use a random orbit sander
but be gentle with the sanding, if you go too far the fit will be sloppy when you put the puzzle together.
attachment.php

Attachments

• Sled007.jpg
    Sled007.jpg
    143.9 KB · Views: 278
  • Sled006.jpg
    Sled006.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 278
  • Sled005.jpg
    Sled005.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 276
  • Sled004.jpg
    Sled004.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 277
  • Sled003.jpg
    Sled003.jpg
    147.8 KB · Views: 278
  • Sled002.jpg
    Sled002.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 277
  • Sled001.jpg
    Sled001.jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 277
  • Diagram.jpg
    Diagram.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 278
  • Sled008.jpg
    Sled008.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 276
Last edited:
Thank you very much Dan, I think this thread should go into the "Tutorials" forum, this is clear and easy to understand :thumb:

I'm going to have to make some of these for sure, maybe a touch smaller than 3/4" (you must have large stockings!)

Cheers!

Ok Dan now that you have us making them. Do you want to give us the tricks to getting them together as I really don't have 2 hrs to muck about figuring it out as Santas work shop is backed up already before christmas and those look like great gifts for the boys.

Great job. I think I remember seeing that puzzle as a kid. Used to love playing with those kinds of 3d puzzles... :thumb: :thumb: