I've been turning ornaments for the past few weeks, and finally took the time to get some photos taken. I sold about half a dozen before I was able to get any pics, but here's what I have now.
I'm a rookie at turning these things...this year is the first time I've tried any. They were good finial practice, helping me get the hang of turning various spindle profiles and features. I didn't pay much attention to design continuity and it shows...I was primarily practicing technique and trying to get them done quickly. All the globes on the non-birdhouse ones were hollowed through a 3/8" hole, and they range in overall length from 5" to 6 1/2". The loops on the tops are silver jewelry findings I got at Michael's, with the wire shank folded in half and friction fit into the tiniest hole I could drill. (It's somewhere around 0.015" to 0.020", guessing from guitar string experience, but I'm too lazy to go out and put a caliper on it right now.)
[Edit to add...] I just went and measured the drill bit. It's 0.05 inches in diameter. And the little loop thingies are called "eye pins".
Ash with Dyed Ash:
Box Elder and Dyed Ash:
Maple Burl and Walnut:
Bocote and Ebony:
Zebrawood and Ebony:
Another Bocote and Ebony:
Red Eucaluptus and Ebony:
Yet another Bocote and Ebony:
And another Zebrawood and Ebony...this one is my wife's. I sold the first one she had dibs on, and was beaten severely for doing so.
Comments, questions, and critiques are all welcome.