A Few Ornaments

Vaughn McMillan

Administrator
Staff member
I've been turning ornaments for the past few weeks, and finally took the time to get some photos taken. I sold about half a dozen before I was able to get any pics, but here's what I have now.

I'm a rookie at turning these things...this year is the first time I've tried any. They were good finial practice, helping me get the hang of turning various spindle profiles and features. I didn't pay much attention to design continuity and it shows...I was primarily practicing technique and trying to get them done quickly. All the globes on the non-birdhouse ones were hollowed through a 3/8" hole, and they range in overall length from 5" to 6 1/2". The loops on the tops are silver jewelry findings I got at Michael's, with the wire shank folded in half and friction fit into the tiniest hole I could drill. (It's somewhere around 0.015" to 0.020", guessing from guitar string experience, but I'm too lazy to go out and put a caliper on it right now.)

[Edit to add...] I just went and measured the drill bit. It's 0.05 inches in diameter. And the little loop thingies are called "eye pins".

Ash with Dyed Ash:

Ash and Dyed Ash Ornament 800.jpg

Box Elder and Dyed Ash:

Box Elder and Dyed Ash Ornament 800.jpg

Maple Burl and Walnut:

Maple Burl and Walnut Ornament 800.jpg

Bocote and Ebony:

Bocote and Ebony Ornament 1 800.jpg

Zebrawood and Ebony:

Zebrawood and Ebony Ornament 1 800.jpg

Another Bocote and Ebony:

Bocote and Ebony Ornament 2 800.jpg

Red Eucaluptus and Ebony:

Red Eucalyptus and Ebony Ornament 800.jpg

Yet another Bocote and Ebony:

Bocote and Ebony Ornament 3 800.jpg

And another Zebrawood and Ebony...this one is my wife's. I sold the first one she had dibs on, and was beaten severely for doing so. :p

Zebrawood and Ebony Ornament 2 800.jpg

Comments, questions, and critiques are all welcome. :wave:

Last edited:
Looking good Vaughn, now how did you get the finals so black? Felt marker?Dye? Paint? I tried the vinigar steel wool thing didn't work. Tried the ebony stain with the same result. Getting pressed for time here and need some pointers. Thanks

Drew, except for the black dyed ash birdhouse roof, all the black parts are just natural ebony. No finish even, just sanded to 600 and buffed with a Tripoli wheel. If you've got light-colored ebony, or you're trying to make some other species black, my suggestion would be black Transtint liquid dye, using DNA as a carrier. (You can also use water with Transtint, but it raises the grain, so you end up having to sand and re-dye a time or two.)

Nice

Nice work.

Once you can correct the sometimes 180 degree alignment error I think you have a shot at a future business.

"Custom Golf Tees by Vaughn"

Remember pointy end DOWN.

Those are nice...Methinks Santa and his heppers would be pleased! Next yr, perhaps I'll try some of these...still trying to shake the pen thing off....:rofl:

Nice work. They are all winners. I haven't turned an ornament yet and it looks like that will be a next Christmas thing. Time running out, family coming, bathrooms all tore up, remodeling. I need some turning time!!

All i can think of saying is Dang you darn good at the spinny thing.:D:thumb:

I love those bird houses most. They just too cute.

All your ebony spindles well the cuts on those are just fantastic.:)

Which reminds me i got 5 days to get my birdhouse done.:eek:

Drew, except for the black dyed ash birdhouse roof, all the black parts are just natural ebony. No finish even, just sanded to 600 and buffed with a Tripoli wheel. If you've got light-colored ebony, or you're trying to make some other species black, my suggestion would be black Transtint liquid dye, using DNA as a carrier. (You can also use water with Transtint, but it raises the grain, so you end up having to sand and re-dye a time or two.)

Thanks Vaughn That is a big help.