Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My new shop, progress?

My new shop, progress?

Hello everyone:

Followed ya all over from the creek.

My family and I moved to raleigh, NC in August. Since we have no basement my shop is now located in the third bay of our three car garage. I have completed a partition wall to separate the shop from the rest of the garage. I had the very welcome help of three people from NCWoodworkers.

These pics are of the partition in progress. I have finished sheathing the partion on the shop side. I plan to sheath all of the walls the same way.

A local friend is a licensed electrician. He is going to wire and light the whole shop. In return I will be building him built-ins in his house. Unfortunately, due to our schedules and the Thanksgiving holiday we will not be able to do the wiring intil the first weekend in December.

I left the back side of the partion open to facilitate the wiring and will insulate and sheetrock that side in the end. I also plan to hang a lumber rack on the garage side of the wall.

The opening above the doorway is for the AC/Heating unit.

I am working on a clamp rack and storage cabinets while I wait.

I will try to post more pics.

One more pic

Here is a close-up of the doorway.

Obviously this not on the order of Marty's shop, or most members of the forum, but it's what I've got.

Doug

doug, thanks for sharing! on the order of martys or not you`ve got a shop in the works and that`s what counts! keep making sawdust and please keep us posted on your progress........... remember vaughn has orange shag carpet in his shop and is available for design consultation .......tod
    [SIZE="1"] associated with several importers and manufacturers.[/SIZE]

Doug,

Glad you decided to come over and join us.

As tod says, it's not about the size of the shop, but the existance of the shop! Not to mention, you'll be making fun sawdust before I will...

Keep the pictures coming as you progress. I'm off to do some wiring...

Enjoy your stay...
    - Marty -
    Fivebraids, Inc.
    When you earnestly believe you can compensate for a lack of skill by doubling your efforts, there’s no end to what you can’t do…

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Doug,
    I am most interested in what you up to since I am building and will have a 3 car garage. LOML want me to wall in the single car garage for the shop to mitigate saw dust from getting into the new house, I have agreed to do so but am thinking that part of the 2 car garage should be used for finishing and other workshop suff such as storing the aircompressor, etc. This will keep the work shop as a woodworking shop only.

Oh and welcome to the Family woodworking.
    Last edited by Don Baer; 12-01-2006 at 03:18 AM.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Space is at a premium

I now realize that space is my most limited resource. More mobile bases are in my future. Since my ceiling is 11 1/2 feet high I will use the higher part of the wall for storage. I am working on a folding clamp rack that will store 45 clamps. Pics to follow (tomorrow hopefully).

Doug

Quote Originally Posted by Don Baer View Post
    Doug,
    I am most interested in what you up to since I am building and will have a 3 car garage. LOML want me to wall in the single car garage for the shop to mitigate saw dust from getting into the new house, I have agreed to do so but am thinking that part of the 2 car garage should be used for finishing and other workshop suff such as storing the aircompressor, etc. This will keep the work shop as a woodworking shop only.

Oh and welcome to the creek.
    Me thinks Don had a freudian slip...or a petticoat even!
    Fivebraids, Inc.
    When you earnestly believe you can compensate for a lack of skill by doubling your efforts, there’s no end to what you can’t do…

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Walsh View Post
    Me thinks Don had a freudian slip...or a petticoat even!
    Marty, you are cruel................................. funny, but cruel

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    ... remember vaughn has orange shag carpet in his shop and is available for design consultation .......tod
    Hey buddy, it's GREEN carpet, and it's closed loop, not shag. Sheesh! Some people. You must be confusing the green carpet with the orange tablesaw. And you're right...I do garage shop design consultations. I'm not cheap, but you'll have the flashiest shop on the block.

Your shop's off to a good start, Doug. Keep them pictures coming!

awww man vaughn, orange shag just sounds soooo much better
    [SIZE="1"] associated with several importers and manufacturers.[/SIZE]