Ken you seen this one? another plane i missed its release???

Rob Keeble

Been sorting out my wish list over at LV and came across this plane.

Anyone have one, looks like a nice idea ?

Ken? Jim? Larry? Steve?, Brent? Glenn? any other flatworkers, tool junkies :D ?

Now for a question. If one had the block plane skew plane then why would you want to purchase/use/ one of these ?:dunno:

Seems to me there is more mileage in the block plane version.

I am also thinking that perhaps the new block plane design did not take off that well and has had the tool inserted to make it into a skew plane block plane.

Man these guys make some nice stuff. Its like art you can stare at it for hours. I think i am beginning to understand the collectors.:)

Been sorting out my wish list over at LV and came across this plane.

Anyone have one, looks like a nice idea ?

Ken? Jim? Larry? Steve?, Brent? Glenn? ...

Yeah, I've got the left tilt one. Got it to pair with my opposite tilting Stanley 140.

I like it way better than the 140. It's a much more 'quality-built' plane than the old Stanley. I find that typical of nearly all the Veritas planes.

As for comparison to the block rabbeting plane - both work very well. I do think the skewed blade makes working in harder, or figured, woods easier, and with less tearout. The rabbet plane's blade is straight across - not skewed. I don't have one of them (yet) though, so must make the comparison between the skew block and my 10¼ or 10½.

Comparing it to the Veritas skew rabbet (or moving filister) plane (which I don't have) is a bit harder. I'm thinking that the only real advantage to the bigger planes is their weight & bulk, which again would help in making full width cuts in hard woods.

Perhaps Derek Cohen will drop in here and give us his take on them. I'm pretty sure he has one of each.

Last edited:
I'm thinking that the only real advantage to the bigger planes is their weight & bulk, which again would help in making full width cuts in hard woods.

The real advantage for larger and longer rabbits, is that the Veritas Skew Rabbet plane (Moving Fillister) is longer having more registration area against the wood.

http://familywoodworking.org/forums/showthread.php?t=21672

I have all three and would use the smaller skew block plane for smaller rabbets. Same thing if you will using these tools for other functions like "raising" a door panel. Smaller work, the skewed block plane would probably work best.

I don't have one. It does look cool. I like the larger registration surface area.

The fact that you are just noticing it will cost you thirty lashes with a wet curly.

My humble apologies Ken and all. I find myself severly embarresed.:eek: Somehow i completely missed that thread and thought when i stumbled on this plane it was new and yet to be released. In my excitement to share the news i failed to check.:(