Birthday box

Drew Watson

The wife and I are heading up island to Qualicum beach today to meet with some island forum members (finally may get to meet Cynthia lol and yes pics will be taken) With Janet still on the mend from her surgery last friday ( yes she is doing great and besides some slight pains she is almost back to full use of her hands) this was all up in the air because of the suregery but when I mentioned that we were meeting in qualicum beach at the Old Dutch inn her eyes lit up as her aunt and uncle live almost across the street. It was uncle Bob's 81 birthday the other day so we are going to make a day of it. I thought why not make him a gift so I got on the lathe this morning and made him a box. Something different from what I have done before. Finishing the top was a challenge as the jaws didn't want to go that extra little bit so I changed the inside to a stepped lid to mask my opps and I was able to work it out. It is horse chestnut 5 inches high by 3.5. Lid is not loose or tight. I just buffed it out with wax.

Attachments

• Christmas 2010 013 - Copy.JPG
    Christmas 2010 013 - Copy.JPG
    102.5 KB · Views: 41
  • Christmas 2010 014 - Copy.JPG
    Christmas 2010 014 - Copy.JPG
    115.1 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
Nice box, very pretty wood..I dont think I've seen that before. I'm sure uncle Bob will love it. His generation seems to appreciate quality hand made things..... a lot! Nice thought - good job!
Michael
Bummer about the GT, but life happens, eh??:)

Last edited: