Came across a seller on ebay ..planes

Rob Keeble

I thought i would post this here for those looking to bid on a plane or two on ebay. I came across this seller who appears to sell planes that have been cleaned up really nice more than the usual. Its like a refurbishment.

They dont end up as collectors that way but what the heck i aint a collector these are real nice users and come already tuned up and scarry sharp. When you compare what a plane of this kind would cost you new then these are pretty good second hand planes after the refurbishment.

Probably not for the collector but the guy who is trying to get some tools together on a budget.

Looks like a great find, Rob. I agree that these planes look like a good alternative to buying new. I would be interested to see what someone like Ken or Jim think about the models shown and the pricing.

Looks like a great find, Rob. I agree that these planes look like a good alternative to buying new. I would be interested to see what someone like Ken or Jim think about the models shown and the pricing.

As would I. There's someone here local that refurbs planes, and works with one of the woodworking stores here. I almost bought a refurb #4 for $50, but I wasn't sure if I was buying the band saw at the time.

Bill when i look at the one closest to ending its a stanley number 5 at this point in time its around $32 when i look at new planes of similar nature i see the following

LV $ 229 cdn
LN $325 - 360 US
Woodriver (woodcraft) $135 US
Stanley premium (low angle jackplane) $179 US

So from my point of view given how refurbished these old boys are i would think it could go all the way to around $80 or even more and still be a good deal for a decent plane.

I aint knocking the new ones above but they aint in everyones budget and i would hate a newbie neaderthral to think they can only get into the hobby if they have huge coin to spend.

I dont think this bunch of planes listed will attract the stupid money since having being refurbished they dont have the collector value, you know that magic patina that was left on it after the cat or dog or rats p on it in old granpas shop.:rofl: I also think this guy is doing anyone that buys his planes a great service with the quality of refurb he does so in my view he deserves support he is only looking to recoup really what he has put back into some old workhorses.:)

Work worthiness is going to depend greatly on the quality of the refurb.

Sharpening a pitted blade is pretty much a waste of time, but if it's a clean blade, or better yet, a new one, that's great.

Cleaning up the wood, and shining up the sides and sole is great, and as you said, essentially removes any collector value, but could (or couldn't) make a good user. It's going to depend on the plane he starts with - not necessarily the make or model so much as the flatness of the sole and the condition of the mouth.

Some of his stuff - like the #5 shown in the first listing - appear to be 'parts planes' wherein a newer lever cap has been fitted to an older plane. Absolutely nothing wrong with that for a user. It just reinforces the minimal collector value aspect.

I couldn't find any final prices for his stuff, but all the 'auction-in-progress' stuff looks reasonable. If I were in the market for a user 4 or 5, I'd sure be tempted to try one of his. Shipping is even reasonable.

I do note he has a 'returns not accepted' policy, but he also has a 100% good feedback, so evidently his buyers are satisfied with his product.