Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Proper sanding

Proper sanding

Thought I would throw this out; A lot of people do not know how to properly sand. With the grain is a given but how much to you sand ? One rule of thumb I use is to make 7 passes over one area and move on. & passes gives me the smoothness I need for the next coat. With each grit I practice this and always can rely on the proper smoothness is achieved.
    I dream a lot. I do more painting when I'm not painting. It's in the subconscious.
    ::: Andrew Wyeth :::
    colonialrestorationstudio.com

Dave that's good advice. To what grit do you go on raw wood?

So true. Sanding is something I used to put way too much effort into and get inconsistent results. A quality product and a diligent, repeatable technique cuts the time required down to a decent level. Frequently in the past I would over sand with one grit and not enough on the next always with mixed results of course. Take a breath, pay attention and enjoy the ride ;-)
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    I don't count the number of strokes but I don't over sand either. I sand with my right hand and brush over it with my left hand sort of a feel thing.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

sanding

I like Don's idea. Sanding and testing as you go. Counting the number of "strokes" will work in some instances but if you are sanding ebony versus pine the stroke count version may differ.

Colin, glad you piped in, let us know a little more about you...
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

To what grit do you go on raw wood?
    I will use 100 to 320 on raw wood depending on the type of wood and or veneers.
    I rarely run my hand over the wood while sanding. 1. I do not want to contaminate the wood with hand oil which will cause lacquer sealer to repel from the wood. 2 If I do I make sure my hands are very clean.
    I started using Micro fiber cloths to clean the dust off the wood . Using a micro fiber cloth take all and any dust off and dose not put dust into the air so I can spray immediately. The micro also will grab any area that has the slightest roughness left behind.
    I dream a lot. I do more painting when I'm not painting. It's in the subconscious.

I've never had a problem with oil from my skin contaminating the wood but maybe cause I live in a dry climate or maybe it's because I wipe the pice down with MS prior to applying any finish.

Don MS will work fine. I move so fast that waiting for something to dry like that is not very practical. When I sand I like to get sealer on it as soon as possible. Plus I know it is dry and there is not hidden pools of wetness hidden in the grain. One of the worst woods to wipe down with any thing after sanding is Mahogany. The porousness of the wood will hold anything that is wet for a long time. Which mean I will take a air hose to the end grain and blow it out.

Back to knowing how smooth the wood is while sanding. One rule of thumb is in the feel of the paper, the sound it makes and the easiness of the slide. You do not need to count to know this. I like to count when I get started and when I am at the right sound , slide counting just seems to drop off. When your working on really old furniture one thing you never want to do is to destroy the natural patina of the woods aging. I have learned and developed my method to help me hear and see the changes that accrue. If I go to far it can destroy a piece and if I do not go far enough I will get a blotchy mess.

Thanks Dave and Don you both have been very helpful. The more I do this stuff the more I realize finishing is a art unto itself.