Drill Press question

Rob Keeble

I have a delta bench top drill press and i would like to remove the chuck from the quill. i know when i assembled the dp many years ago it was on a taper the same as a lathe but how do you get the thing to come loose.

On my lathe i can just put a long shaft through the back end and tap the tape out in reverse to the way it got in.

But on the DP ???

Thanks for any help or advice you may have.

If you lower the quill all the way down there should appear a slot. You should have a wedge shaped piece of steel that came with your drill press. You insert it into the slot and tap it. Don't forget to hold the chuck or it will fall on your foot!

Wow thanks Bill that was quick answer. I dont think i have any metal that came with my press or at least if i did i probably tossed it out but i can easily find something that will do the job.:D:thumb: i hope this applies to a cheapie Delta.:)

Don't feel bad. Every once in a while, I run across my wedge and think to myself to remember where it is, but I just know when I need it, I will be unable to remember where it is. I expect it will take about a couple hours and few cuss words to find it then. I really need to organize it better.

Many drill presses mount the chuck on a Jacobs 33 (JT) taper, which is a short male taper, with the female portion machined into the chuck. To remove a JT chuck you need a pair of JT wedges. Enco, and others, have them for under ten bucks, or you can use an automobile tie rod removal tool, too.

My Powermatic press uses the JT33 mount.

Just double check to be sure it is a taper fit. My cheap Delta is a screw on. A lot of non reversible drills are screw on. Open up the chuck and look inside. if you see a screw remove it and unscrew the chuck.

Don't feel bad. Every once in a while, I run across my wedge and think to myself to remember where it is, but I just know when I need it, I will be unable to remember where it is. I expect it will take about a couple hours and few cuss words to find it then. I really need to organize it better.

A Rare Earth magnet keeps that rarely used metal wedge semi permanently attached to my DP...

Yep, drift key slips through the slot in the arbor to remove the spindle. To remove the chuck from the spindle I leave the spindle in the arbor and use a piece of wood as a pad and tap around the top edge of the chuck gently till she drops off (on my foot). Put a folded up shop towel on the table so it can fall on that (then roll off and drop on your foot). The manual is probably available online if you have the model number and a login to the DeWaltDeltaBlackandDeckerBeisemeyerPorterCable service site. If you can't get on, give me your model number and I'll try to pull a PDF for you.

Thanks all. Jim you saved my bacon and Glenn you had me doing another :doh::eek: stunt. Oh boy lately i dont know how did i not think to do that. i know i have my manual somewhere but its quicker to get a digital.

Well checked the manual and sure enough it looks like Jim is right on the money with the taper for the chuck. :):thumb:

Drill press chuck taper.jpg

Now to find some levers to do the job.

Rob, I don't know about the Delta, but I think my HF el lesser expensivio DP has a hole through the top pulley that turned the spindle that you can drop a rod through and tap the taper out.... don't quote me, I'm working from a very weak memory....