Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Red Eucalyptus Turning Question ?

Red Eucalyptus Turning Question ?

Has anyone turned Red Eucalyptus ??? I cant remeber if I have asked before but someone called me today that is going to cut down a large tree going at their buss and will save some of the trunk pc's for me if I want them.
    I was told they would leave them in 4-6ft lengths and diameter are up to about 18-24".
    I read on another site that Red Euc cracks and checks very easily but there is not enough of a explanation to determine how they sealed or cut them. What I think is i would keep them in whole log form and seal them x 2 with anchorseal - put in a shaded cool area along the house and watch them. I do not have any room for any other strorage like a shed etc.....

Anybody have any experience with Red Euc ???
    First you have to learn the rules - Beginner
    Then you have to learn advanced rules - Professional
    Then you disregard the rules - This takes you to the master level................

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Dan, I would split it, cut out the pith and then seal the end. JMHO. Thats what I did when I lived in So. Cal. and go some.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Interesting Dan, I'll in L.A. in January....hmmmm. I've heard that Euc has long thin grain and as a result...it's split city until sealed and sealed quick. Any chance of some of that relocating?
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears Combat boots

I agree with Don. It's great wood to turn. It likes to crack, but don't let that stop you.

Cut the pith out and seal it, and it should store outside OK. I've got some that's 3 or 4 years old in my woodpile. There are some cracks, but there's still a lot that can be turned.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bowl 032 - 03 800.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	85.2 KB 
ID:	52333 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HF030 - 02 800.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	71.0 KB 
ID:	52332 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bowl 067 - 04 800.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	31.0 KB 
ID:	52334
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

That's some good looking wood and turnings Vaughn. We don't have anything like that here. But, I'm sure we have stuff that you guys on the left coast don't. It's funny (at least to me) how you see wood from other places and wished it grew here. I'm sure we have stuff that grows in these parts that other people wished they could get hold of.

Sorry to hijack Dan, but that's some good looking wood!

Quote Originally Posted by John Daugherty View Post
    ...I'm sure we have stuff that grows in these parts that other people wished they could get hold of...
    You got that right. I picked up most of a whole tree of red eucalyptus, and I traded a number of pieces with buddies in other parts of the country who had wood (like walnut and box elder) I can't find easily out here.

And Dan, let me know if you end up with more of it than you can handle or need help cutting up the bigger pieces. My 24" chainsaw and I could make a day trip out of it.

workingwoods.com

Thanks to all for the comments and at least I know it is worth turning - Vaughn's work is nice stuff and now I know ill take what i can when they call in the next day or so......................
    The tree or trees are being cut down in Highland, Ca - I will ask when they are cutting it down..........These tree service guys are pretty good about calling when they are cutting down trees - I traded them last time a $30.00 and a couple nice bowls for a truck load of large Walnut trunk Pc's of wood...........If you guys are serious about it I will ask about meeting them in the future when they cut down more wood and we can all split it up or all come home with what we can carry..............let me know if your serious and ill ask...........Dan
    Then you disregard the rules - This takes you to the master level................

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Burr View Post
    ...I've heard that Euc has long thin grain and as a result...it's split city until sealed and sealed quick...
    Keep in mind there are about a bazillion varieties of eucalyptus. Some is great, and some is downright evil. The red ironbark stuff is one of the great ones. The yellow stringybark stuff isn't worth the chainsaw gas to cut it up. (IMO, of course.)

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Mosley View Post
    ...The tree or trees are being cut down in Highland, Ca - I will ask when they are cutting it down..........These tree service guys are pretty good about calling when they are cutting down trees - I traded them last time a $30.00 and a couple nice bowls for a truck load of large Walnut trunk Pc's of wood...........If you guys are serious about it I will ask about meeting them in the future when they cut down more wood and we can all split it up or all come home with what we can carry..............let me know if your serious and ill ask...........Dan
    I'm game if it works into my schedule (which is pretty open these days). It'd be worth some driving to nab some good wood. (Highland looks like it's about about halfway between your house and mine.)

workingwoods.com

Ok ill keep you posted...............

Dan, There numerous red eucalypti, most are useless except for fire wood, you will know if its the fire wood variety as it will most likely open up like a rose.
    But give it a go, remove the pith seal the ends and the cut area, place in a cool dry area away from any sun and wind etc and see how you go.