Thread: Boredom project gloat....

Boredom project gloat....

Howdy all!

Well things have been REALLY slow for me lately as far as work goes. Right now I've got nothing "on the hook" and I'm trying to find SOMETHING to get things going again. The other day instead of sitting around bored and stewing about the lack of work I went into the basement and found some "scrap" material and started a fun project. I have a probably forty year old ice fishing sled that belonged to my grandfather. I remember using that thing as a kid and it always worked very well. I know a lot of ice fishermen here in Michigan and some of them are always dragging buckets around full of gear. I took some design ideas from the box that belonged to my grandfather and made some minor changes (size mostly but deleted a couple of things) and made one of my own. It came out pretty good and I'm going to post them for sale on the bulletin boards at the local bait shops and such. I figured I'll just wait for the orders to come in and make them as needed. They're quick and easy to build and it'll give me something to do until business picks up. The box is approximately 12"W X 12"D X 24"L and 21" high at the top when the seat is installed. Here are some pics....

Last edited by John Pollman; 02-16-2007 at 06:33 PM.
    "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten"

Quote Originally Posted by John Pollman View Post
    Howdy all!

Well things have been REALLY slow for me lately as far as work goes. Right now I've got nothing "on the hook" and I'm trying to find SOMETHING to get things going again. The other day instead of sitting around bored and stewing about the lack of work I went into the basement and found some "scrap" material and started a fun project. I have a probably forty year old ice fishing sled that belonged to my grandfather. I remember using that thing as a kid and it always worked very well. I know a lot of ice fishermen here in Michigan and some of them are always dragging buckets around full of gear. I took some design ideas from the box that belonged to my grandfather and made some minor changes (size mostly but deleted a couple of things) and made one of my own. It came out pretty good and I'm going to post them for sale on the bulletin boards at the local bait shops and such. I figured I'll just wait for the orders to come in and make them as needed. They're quick and easy to build and it'll give me something to do until business picks up. The box is approximately 12"W X 12"D X 243"L and 21" high at the top when the seat is installed. Here are some pics....
    Very cool. I wish I had your imagination and ability to find opportunity! I hope you sell them by the hundreds!!!
    We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will. - Chuck Palahniuk

John, will those little conduit runners support a fella around 230 lbs? (like myself) they look kinds small.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Ash View Post
    John, will those little conduit runners support a fella around 230 lbs? (like myself) they look kinds small.
    I've had a couple ask that same question. I'm about 165 and feel completely confident in sitting on it. They're 1/2" steel conduit. I've got another one in works that I'm brainstorming on a modification to the runners. The box is done but I'm going to spend some time this weekend working on the modification to the runners. I think that I can make it a bit sturdier with a simple change. Although, this thing is pretty sturdy as it is. I'll post some pictures of the mods when I get it done.

Take care

John
    Last edited by John Pollman; 02-16-2007 at 06:34 PM.
    "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten"

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Ash View Post
    Then they can stand it on end and sit on the box. Looks like it is only 3" difference in height that way.

Ice fishing?? Who wants to catch ice?? We fish for bass, bream and crappie! And of course my favorite eating, catfish!
    God grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway,
    the good fortune to run into the ones I do,
    and the eyesight to tell the difference.

Kudzu Craft Lightweight Skin on frame Kayaks.
    Custom built boats and Kits

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Horton View Post
    Ice fishing?? Who wants to catch ice?? We fish for bass, bream and crappie! And of course my favorite eating, catfish!
    Wow, you've got a nicer selection of target species down there. Up here our only choice is cubed or crushed!

John