Last minute Christmas presents

Doug DeVore

I wanted to start a thread for last minute Christmas gift ideas since we are getting close. Lets try to keep it to ones that can be built in a night or two. Pictures would be great.

Me and my 7 year old cranked out a gumball machine in a couple of hours last night. She has a "something you make" gift exchange at school today. Made it out of pine and a mason jar - no finish. very easy.

My son (5 yr) and I made a couple of rubber band guns the evening before. They are made out of scrap spalted oak and walnut. Again for the gift exchange thingy at their school. Very quick and easy.

I will post pictures when I can get my hands on the camera.

1862d0f9-d33d-0462.jpg

Got some scrap cooking for a lazy susan.

Last minute "commission"

We gave a friend one of the NE weed pots I turned last year. Her mother fell in love with it when she saw it a few weeks ago. I've been busy as heck recently with a deck, sprinkler system and plants, but took a little time to whip out a couple of new weed pots. I made these of seasoned wood from the firewood pile. They took me a total of about an hour, including finish. I added a small arrangement of silk flowers and leaves before packing them to mail. Not the thing for everyone, but these will make our friend's mom happy!

Attachments

• Linda_WP1.jpg
    Linda_WP1.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 27
  • Linda_WP2.jpg
    Linda_WP2.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 28
Last night we went to dinner sponsored by my wife's employer at her part-time job. All employees exchanged gifts. My wife got a book that I had already bought and planned to give her. :( Now, gotta find a subsitute gift. :doh:

1862d0f9-d33d-0462.jpg

Got some scrap cooking for a lazy susan.

Yeah, this turned out to be a failure. Everything was going great until I started routing with the jig I made. The hole for the pin enlarged, and I can't salvage a circle with the dimensions I want.

It may be given as a prototype. Seems real lazy, though. Don't have time or the lighting to get another one done before Christmas.