33 years, this was all that was left

allen levine

was a painful experience watching them deconstruct my second home where I worked the past 33 years.(this pic is the stock room at the back)
I didnt salvage any more pine.
I did take the old handles off the 80 year old schwarz cabinet. Maybe Ill use them one day.
I spent this morning denailing and used the 22/44 to sand down some of the old pine I took out of there.
Might be too much work for such a cheap wood.
(the guy did get around 8000 lbs of iron out of there with all the shelving and fixtures)

Attachments

• woodpile.JPG
    woodpile.JPG
    59.2 KB · Views: 105
  • bed 102 (Medium).jpg
    bed 102 (Medium).jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 101
Last edited:
I don't know if I would have the courage you had of being there and wacht that thing happen.

Sometimes I think it is better not to look back:(

Allen, I remember my dad and grandpa's mood when they had the auction to close out their construction business...hard for them to do, my grandpa was there until the bid was made, and he left. My dad didn't want to be there but stayed most of the way thru in case anyone had questions. Lots of blood, sweat and skin put into the business and all the material things were gone in 1 day. :eek:

A new chapter has already started for you...congrats again! :thumb:

As I was typing before, my cell phone rang.

I wanted to say I didnt leave under bad circumstances.
It was time but now I had to clean out the store.

Toni-I had to be there, and tonight proved why before I even posted why.
These guys were just using sledgehammers and crowbars.
I was mentioning this is a Schwartz cabinet, and with that, one worker flung his sledghammer into the side of it and smashed through it.
I made them stop so I could at least take the handles off it, I dont know how old they are.
They were smashing things and I had to stop them because of all the live electrical wires in the cabinets and shelving areas.
They ripped out wires galore, they killed the alarms system,(even though I have it shut off), and tonight, I learned, they damaged the thermostat wire.
One of the tenants called, it was freezing. When I left last night around 8ish, it was warm.
Right when we left the guy went through and clipped all the wiring that was loose, the thermostat wire being one of them.
Im proud of myself, as I was on the phone calling the plumber cause I couldnt understand why the boiler wasnt firing up, I saw the clipped wire.
I called my buddy the electrician, he told me to go downstairs, shove any extra wire through the floor, and try to make the ends reach and I did.
Then he said ok, open them up and see whats inside. Doh. Im standing in a blank building with no tools. My wife took the ride so I asked her to help me look in the trash still there for an old razor blade, and sure enough we found an old rusty blade.
I cut open the wire to the thermostat, great, white, red, green, and blue.
He told me to splice each color together and it took me some time, I did it, had a few inches of pink duct tape there, used that after I twisted the ends so they wouldnt touch, and the heat was up and running. My wife said, you the man!
And this is the reason I wanted to be there, but they cut those lines right as we were leaving and I didnt even know about it. Heres my handywork until the electrician gets there this weekend to put in a new wire.

Attachments

• wire.JPG
    wire.JPG
    39.7 KB · Views: 31