Pine vs Poplar

Tony Baideme

Hi gang, I am starting to build a medicine cabinet for my bathroom, and the plan I found (and am modifying to fit what I want) calls for using Poplar for a frame surrounding (and holding) the mirror, with one leaf of the hinges mounted to it, but they call for Pine for the faceframe that sits behind the mirror frame, against the wall, and which will have the larger leaf of the hinges mounted to it.

The mirror frame is to be 3/4" x 2 3/4". The faceframe is to be 1 1/4" x 1 5/8". Overall dimensions of the cabinet will be 24"w x 31"h and be recessed into a 2"x 6" stud wall, giving me a depth inside of just over 5 1/2". One stud was trimmed down to 1" thick where it is right behind the cabinet, but there are two other untouched studs within 12" either side of the cut one, in a non-loadbearing wall.

So, with all that impertinent info, can someone advise me if I can just use some clear, straight grained pine I already have for all of these parts? What would the purpose be of using the poplar anyway? I would have to go buy some poplar if I have to use that.

Your help will be greatly appreciated. I hope to start cutting parts tomorrow.

Aloha, Tony

I don't know why they would call for both pine and poplar. Poplar paints better than pine and is a bit harder. Most poplar I see has a greenish tinge and looks unusual if stained.
I wouldn't hesitate using all pine.

My guess is that the guy that drew up the plans feel that the poplar is going to hold the screws for the hinges better than the pine.
If I was to build it I go with all pine:thumb:

My guess is that the guy that drew up the plans feel that the poplar is going to hold the screws for the hinges better than the pine.
If I was to build it I go with all pine:thumb:

That's my take on it, too. All pine, or all poplar, or mix it up - pretty much use whatever you've got on hand.

I would say since poplar is a little harder he's using it for the door since its a little more durable and will take more abuse than pine.

Thanks people. I never thought about the paintability of the Poplar over Pine, but I don't think that will be an issue here. :dunno:

As for the holding of the screws, the hinges are to be mounted between these woods, and the weight of the whole door, mirror included, will be hanging on the Pine faceframe. :eek: And I don't think I have to worry about durability. My wife and I are pretty easy on our furnishings (no kids).

I think I will be going with all Pine, as I have that on hand.

I will try to get pictures of the project, but may not post until it's done.

Thank you all for your advice. :thumb:

Aloha, Tony (Now I'll get to cutting)

Last edited:
Go with pine. If yuo can get true yellow popler it is nice and can look alot like maple, but most places mix in other woods which include cucumber which is green and purple.

A little late but here is an update on the original post, with pictures.

I used the pine, and it turned out just fine. I even sprayed the latex finish on with my Binks #26 siphon feed gun. I had to thin the paint about 20% and it worked.

Here are a couple pictures of the finished outside and the inside. Comments are always welcome.

Attachments

• med cab 5 (760 x 570).jpg
    med cab 5 (760 x 570).jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 117
  • med cab 7a (760 x 570).jpg
    med cab 7a (760 x 570).jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 112
Thanks all, for the compliments. :D

I was going for the capacity by way of the depth I could use. I think it worked out nice. My wife was pleasantly surprised too. :thumb:

It wasn't totally my design but a modified version of a project I found in a 10 year old copy of "Workbench" magazine. Not to brag, but I think mine turned out better than theirs did. :rofl::rofl:

Aloha.

Comments???? How can i comment on that. :eek:

Its way above my top shelf and looks absolutely elegant.:score:

Nice job there Toni. Wow way to go to dress up a bathroom cabinet. You better not come and visit me i only builders borg special.;):D:thumb:

Thanks Rob.

You know, we looked at so many med cabs in the catalogs, online, and in the Borgs but none seemed to be what I was looking for. My wife wanted to just buy one and have me install it but I convinced her that I wanted to build one that fit where we wanted it. Well, I guess I surprised even myself as nice as it turned out. I took me a while to build it (I'm too much of a perfectionist and that has a habit of getting the way of progress) That was the only fault my wife had with the project.

I really appreciate everyone's compliments.

Aloha.

can just use some clear, straight grained pine I already have for all of these parts? What would the purpose be of using the poplar anyway?

Since you are painting the cabinet your decision is easy. Take a 1 x 6 x 8 ft board of pine and rip it in half on your table saw. Then do the same thing with a piece of Poplar. The chances of the cut pine twisting or warping are much greater then they are for Poplar.

DKT