Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Total Lunar Eclipse Coming on Dec. 20-21

Vancouver Island, Courtenay/Comox Valley, British Columbia

Smile Total Lunar Eclipse Coming on Dec. 20-21

You might be interested to know that there is a Total Lunar Eclipse happening on Dec 20-21st depending on where you are. Here is a summary, and here are further details from NASA. You can watch it with the naked eye--you don't need any special doodads to watch it.

The Eclipse coincides with the Winter Solstice, which is celebrated in many cultures.
    AKA Young Grasshopper Woodworker
    AKA The Rookie

I'm hoping for a clear day. Been working on my solar observatory to replace the front lawn. I've got the autumnal solstice marked out. I'll be marking the equinox next...

Why can't they schedule one of those in the daytime so a fella can watch it?? Dang networks anyway!!

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Dowell View Post
    I'm hoping for a clear day. Been working on my solar observatory to replace the front lawn. I've got the autumnal solstice marked out. I'll be marking the equinox next...
    Egads, I thought my project list was long! You got new a table, storage shed, shelving, a few (maybe more) that I have forgotten (help me here Sharon) and now:

Brenthenge

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	brenthenge.gif 
Views:	22 
Size:	34.1 KB 
ID:	52389

“When love and skill work together, expect a masterpiece.” - John Ruskin
    “Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.” - Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Satko View Post
    Egads, I thought my project list was long! You got new a table, storage shed, shelving, a few (maybe more) that I have forgotten (help me here Sharon) and now:

Brenthenge

We're going to our useless triangular lawn in to a labyrinth. Your suggestion is a good start (we were thinking a round thingy and using the remaining sub-triangles as specific garden areas. Right now, all we have is a center pole and the summer solstice marker.

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill Satko View Post

Brenthenge

Bill did you know theres a replica of stonehenge in southern Wash State. I was driving from Portland to the tri-cities one time and saw a sign for it so I drove over and looked at it, kinda neat. Here some info if anyone is interested.
    http://www.legendsofamerica.com/wa-stonehenge.html
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

I did Don as I lived near there several times in the past. It has a nice view of the Columbia Gorge from there.
    “When love and skill work together, expect a masterpiece.” - John Ruskin
    “Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.” - Oscar Wilde

For someone with a lot of time on their hands.

http://www.carhenge.com

Quote Originally Posted by Don Baer View Post
    Bill did you know theres a replica of stonehenge in southern Wash State. I was driving from Portland to the tri-cities one time and saw a sign for it so I drove over and looked at it, kinda neat. Here some info if anyone is interested.
    http://www.legendsofamerica.com/wa-stonehenge.html
    Been there a few times - very interesting. It is a full scale model if I remember correctly. I was surprised at how small it is as the pictures from Salisbury make it look larger.
    Host of the 2017 Family Woodworking Gathering - Sunken Wood

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

Brenthenge... Hmm, That has a definite ring to it! I'm not exactly sure what I'm going to use for the markers. I was leaning toward a pylon/pillar in the middle, and a few low markers in a ring around that.

And then we would put in a meditiation maze with some benches, or interesting things here and there to look at... Very long term project, but I do like marking the sunsets for now. So far just a tube stuck in the ground and stakes to mark the positions...