Total Lunar Eclipse Coming on Dec. 20-21

You might be interested to know that there is a Total Lunar Eclipse happening on Dec 20-21st depending on where you are. Here is a summary, and here are further details from NASA. You can watch it with the naked eye--you don't need any special doodads to watch it.

The Eclipse coincides with the Winter Solstice, which is celebrated in many cultures.

I just want to bump this thread and remind people that the lunar eclipse is Monday night (20th) on the west coast of N. America and early in the morning of the 21st on the east coast. Other areas, see the links above.

got this from my Rocket scientist brother in-law

The Lunar Eclipse begins on Tuesday morning, Dec. 21st, at 1:33 am EST. At that time, Earth's shadow will appear as a dark-red bite at the edge of the lunar disk. It takes about an hour for the "bite" to expand and swallow the entire Moon. Totality commences at 02:41 am EST and lasts for 72 minutes.

If you're planning to dash out for only one quick look -* choose this moment: 03:17 am EST. That's when the Moon will be in deepest shadow, displaying the most fantastic shades of coppery red.

For more information see:

http://science.nasa.gov/science-news/science-at-nasa/2010/17dec_solsticeeclipse/

If you're planning to dash out for only one quick look -* choose this moment: 03:17 am EST. That's when the Moon will be in deepest shadow, displaying the most fantastic shades of coppery red.

Cloudy and yucky here too... but I am going to set my alarm anyway just in case there is a break in the clouds

Well, got the camera set up, did some test shots (they didn't come out very good)....

Heading out now with some Egg Nog (and Captain Morgan's Private reserve)...

We'll see what we can see....