Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: old house and elektriks ?

old house and elektriks ?

The house my daughter moved into is a 1950's vintage. Bathroom are interesting. They still feature the old ceramic tile from that era. In one there are three different shades of pink and two of green. It is nearly barfable to look at too long. The other is an un-appetizing combo of pinks and dark purple. I get queasy just looking at it.
    Enneyhow, my one big concern with the house is the electrical system. Some outlets are labeled "no ground", some have no juice but record a very slight amount with a tester, others seem OK. The lone, small, fuse box strikes me a possibly borderline adequate. BTW, the house is 1600-1800 sq. ft., not tiny. I didn't even know if these types fuses were still made but I bought her extras at the BORG.
    Wadda y'all think?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails fuse box.jpg  
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    WOW... Dijavu all over again... I haven't seen anything like that in Years. My first concern is are the right size fuses in the circuit. hopefully no on put a 30 amp in where a 20 or 15 should go. Also 6 fuses for an 1800 ft'sq. house another
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

I know this is a big job, but I'd seriously consider upgrading the electric system in the home. The house probably has a limited amount of outlets, lights, and other electric service. When that happens, people tend to use extension cords, or do jury rigged wiring, to get the service they need. Of course, they overload the circuit and then they put in a larger fuse, more than the wiring was designed for. Then you have a fire.

If the house is one story and has a basement or crawl space, the new wiring can be run without horrible trouble or cost.

Mike
    Ancora imparo
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Frank after giving this some thought, I believe you daughter is renting this house and if that is the case I would advise two things.

1. Smoke/CO2 detectors
    2. Lots and lots of renters insurance.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

mr. Henderson is probably spot on.
    My house had all those old type screw in fuses. It was inadequate for my home and I had it replaced.
    The garage, I didnt update till this summer. I used those old screw in fuses for 4 years running all my machines all the time, and never had a problem until I started blowing fuses with my dust collector and planer running together.
    My electrician just bypassed the box, Im keeping it on the wall because its not in my way, but put a new box above it.
    the house is probably 100 amps.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails bed 109 (Medium).jpg  
    Last edited by allen levine; 12-20-2010 at 01:01 AM.

I haven't seen a fuse box in years. I remember my dad taking pennies and putting them in the fuse box then screwing in the fuse when the circuits overloaded and blew a fuse

Smoke detectors, fire extinguishers, flashlights, in every room, and like Don said lots of renters insurance. Oh ya, lots of extra fuses. As soon as she uses her hair dryer while brewing coffee she will need some.
    Faith, Hope & Charity

+1 on a complete upgrade...if not possible...+1 on renters insurance and smoke/Co2 detectors. Not safe the way it looks in the pictures

Frank I know you and electrics don't get along. Might be worth paying an electrician for an hour or two and have him pull the cover to make sure that the right fuse are being used for each circuit, also trace them and see what's on each and get the box labeled with what the fuses support.

If you want to check yourself, pull the cover and look at the wire sizes. 12 gauge shouldn't have anything larger than a 20 amp and 14 gauge shouldn't have anything larger than a 15 amp. Come to think of it, it's possible the house has aluminum wiring, so those fuses may need to be down one size for each.

I agree with the insurance, smoke detector, and c/o 2 detector advice.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Quote Originally Posted by Darren Wright View Post
    ...Might be worth paying an electrician for an hour or two and have him pull the cover to make sure that the right fuse are being used for each circuit, also trace them and see what's on each and get the box labeled with what the fuses support...I agree with the insurance, smoke detector, and c/o 2 detector advice.
    Aren't those the "Type S" fuses that have different base sizes for each rating, so that a big fuse can't be screwed into a circuit designed for lower amperage? I seem to remember having them in a house I rented back in the late sixties. House was built in the mid/late fifties.
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim DeLaney View Post
    Aren't those the "Type S" fuses that have different base sizes for each rating, so that a big fuse can't be screwed into a circuit designed for lower amperage? I seem to remember having them in a house I rented back in the late sixties. House was built in the mid/late fifties.
    Hard to tell from the pic, but that looks like the older style fuses to me, look about like a light bulb base, all the same size. Have to let Frank verify.

Edit: I zoomed in and it looks like they are TL fuses, which are all the same size screw base, so one could put the wrong size in a socket. They do sell adapters to retrofit this type of box to use the "S" type fuses though.
    Last edited by Darren Wright; 12-20-2010 at 04:16 AM.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault