Need Help in making a decision

And be aware that most GPS units only recognize addresses that are served by the USPS. My BIL and SIL have a restaurant that is never found by GPS--they pick up their business mail at a PO box. GPS manufacturers say the PO box is the reason.

We were leaning to Garvin, but the TOMTOM got HIGH markes here, even from owners of both, so I'm going to research a little before I buy something. One thing is that we don't travel much anymore and the cost may be prohibitive.

Bruce

I really like my Garmin. My phone uses google maps coupled with the GPS, and that is pretty outstanding, but not that accurate, or it just doesn't refresh that quickly.

I also hate GPS's. I road trip a lot. Not uncommon for me to take 4-5 trips a year that are 1k miles plus one way. I used to track myself quite well with a regular map, and have since abandoned that with the GPS. I literally never know where I am anymore. Which I think is really sad. To keep myself occupied while driving I'd constantly be doing math in my head for mileage, time/miles to tank, and ETA. Now I watch movies on the in dash dvd player and the GPS, and the overhead widget in the truck does all that.

Even with work stuff, I just punch in an address and follow the voice where ever it tells me to. At some point I'll wonder "why all the lemmings?" and "where'd the horizon go?", as I plummet off a cliff.

BTW- if you buy a new car, don't bother with the factory nav systems. They usually won't let you enter any info while moving. Plus you can buy an aftermarket stereo with a GPS and get a better stereo, and better GPS for a whole lot less money. Then you'll end up like me. Watching movies while careening down the interstate because its the only thing left to do besides keep it between the lines.

Magellan Maestro...Free. My wife's best friend broke the power adapter plug. She was over one day and tossed it out in our trash can, in the box with everything. Shaaaazam!! A little dumpster divin'...little solder and it was on the road again! I still use Google Maps on my cell too:eek: