Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jet Slow Speed and Rust

Jet Slow Speed and Rust

Hi,

I have a Jet Slow Speed Sharpener. The nut and washers that hold the grinding wheel have rusted horribly. They did so in just a few months and I live in an area where rust is really not a problem.

Have any of you switched to stainless steel? If so, where did you purchase them?

I do not see any way to prevent the rust. The washers are in direct contact with a stone that is damp all of the time. The washers then start the nut to rust.

HELP!

Thanks in advance!

Enjoy,

Jim
    First of all you have to be smarter than the machine.
    VOTING MEMBER

I'd replace them with stainless.

Jim...EVERY item that I can get to the nuts, bolts, screws, etc...are always replaced with stainless. Then again, as most of our Floridian members will tell you, being close to salt water dictates that kind of action.

Good luck!...I always pick then up at a Marine supply shop in New Smyrna Beach.

Jim,
    I don't know how close you are to a Lowe's, but when I worked at the one in Athens, TN seemed like they had a good supply of SS washers and nuts... they are specialty items and usually in the bank of drawers in the hardware dept.... I would think any decent hardware store would carry a supply.
    Chuck
    Tellico Plains, TN
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/TellicoTurnings
    My parents taught me to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find any.
    If you go looking for trouble, it will usually find you.

Yeah, replace with SS....... BUT....... I'd grease the steel bolts, or put some anti-seize compound on them, because, if you ever want to remove those SS nuts, it "could" be a problem. Sometimes the steel and the SS will react with each other and boy they can be hard to break apart. A buddy did the SS nut and bolt replacement trick on a motorcycle he owned, maybe six months later, we tried to do some work on the bike, an we broke a good half dozen nuts and or bolts, often it was were a SS bolt went into an aluminum housing, but not always, some were SS nuts on steel bolts.

There are various makers out there, I use this one.....
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	p_532000012_1.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	13.1 KB 
ID:	52420
    .... but only because the local shop carried it.

Cheers!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Aren't these left handed thread? If so, I am thinking Lowe's and the usual folks that serve the masses are out. McMaster-Carr, Grainger, MSC, etc. perhaps. If you can get the thread size and count, put your other kid on the trail. He has worked with some suppliers of products that are out of the mainstream. ;-) +1 on some anti-seize; I imagine the usual risks are present as when other different metal combinations come together but have no specific experience.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 12-20-2010 at 02:20 PM.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

Any chance the replacement shaft for a Tormek will fit the jet?

The Tormek shaft, washer, and nut are all stainless. Like most things Tormek, they ain't cheap, but they do work well.
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim C Bradley View Post
    Hi,

I have a Jet Slow Speed Sharpener. The nut and washers that hold the grinding wheel have rusted horribly. They did so in just a few months and I live in an area where rust is really not a problem.

Have any of you switched to stainless steel? If so, where did you purchase them?

I do not see any way to prevent the rust. The washers are in direct contact with a stone that is damp all of the time. The washers then start the nut to rust.

HELP!

Thanks in advance!

Enjoy,

Jim
    I'm pretty sure SS nuts, bolts, etc. are available at most hardware store including the BORGs. Expensive.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by Dom DiCara View Post
    Jim...EVERY item that I can get to the nuts, bolts, screws, etc...are always replaced with stainless. Then again, as most of our Floridian members will tell you, being close to salt water dictates that kind of action.

Good luck!...I always pick then up at a Marine supply shop in New Smyrna Beach.
    I have been trying to find SS. I did find some plated nuts at Lowe's the correct size.

I have two Lowe's and two Home Depot's within a 3 1/2 mile radius. None of them can even get close to the size I need in SS. To them 1/4 inch is big in SS.

I had NOT thought of going down to the marina. It didn't even enter the mind of this sea port town woodworker. I think I have been down there 3x in the past 27 years. I did check McFeeley with no joy. Jet does not carry SS. Rockler does not know if Jet and Tormek use same size and thread. They don't know what Tormek uses period.

I have not found the size nuts and washers that Tormek uses.
    Jet uses 12-M nuts and 30mm washers that are 4 1/2 mm thick.

I think this covers all of the responders points. I'll go through the list again to be sure.

I was planning to lube the new nuts and the shaft. However I was not sure what to use. Thanks to you guys n gals, now I do.

Enjoy,

Jim
    VOTING MEMBER

Quote Originally Posted by Jim DeLaney View Post
    Any chance the replacement shaft for a Tormek will fit the jet?

The Tormek shaft, washer, and nut are all stainless. Like most things Tormek, they ain't cheap, but they do work well.
    Jim, I don't have a clue. Replacing shaft and all would be a great answer.
    Should I add, Unless it is a difficult thing to do?

Enjoy,

Jim
    VOTING MEMBER