Jet Slow Speed and Rust

Hi,

I have a Jet Slow Speed Sharpener. The nut and washers that hold the grinding wheel have rusted horribly. They did so in just a few months and I live in an area where rust is really not a problem.

Have any of you switched to stainless steel? If so, where did you purchase them?

I do not see any way to prevent the rust. The washers are in direct contact with a stone that is damp all of the time. The washers then start the nut to rust.

HELP!

Thanks in advance!

Enjoy,

Jim

Jim...EVERY item that I can get to the nuts, bolts, screws, etc...are always replaced with stainless. Then again, as most of our Floridian members will tell you, being close to salt water dictates that kind of action.

Good luck!...I always pick then up at a Marine supply shop in New Smyrna Beach.

Jim,
I don't know how close you are to a Lowe's, but when I worked at the one in Athens, TN seemed like they had a good supply of SS washers and nuts... they are specialty items and usually in the bank of drawers in the hardware dept.... I would think any decent hardware store would carry a supply.

Yeah, replace with SS....... BUT....... I'd grease the steel bolts, or put some anti-seize compound on them, because, if you ever want to remove those SS nuts, it "could" be a problem. Sometimes the steel and the SS will react with each other and boy they can be hard to break apart. A buddy did the SS nut and bolt replacement trick on a motorcycle he owned, maybe six months later, we tried to do some work on the bike, an we broke a good half dozen nuts and or bolts, often it was were a SS bolt went into an aluminum housing, but not always, some were SS nuts on steel bolts.

There are various makers out there, I use this one.....
p_532000012_1.jpg
.... but only because the local shop carried it.

Cheers!

Aren't these left handed thread? If so, I am thinking Lowe's and the usual folks that serve the masses are out. McMaster-Carr, Grainger, MSC, etc. perhaps. If you can get the thread size and count, put your other kid on the trail. He has worked with some suppliers of products that are out of the mainstream. ;-) +1 on some anti-seize; I imagine the usual risks are present as when other different metal combinations come together but have no specific experience.

Last edited:
Any chance the replacement shaft for a Tormek will fit the jet?

The Tormek shaft, washer, and nut are all stainless. Like most things Tormek, they ain't cheap, but they do work well.

Hi,

I have a Jet Slow Speed Sharpener. The nut and washers that hold the grinding wheel have rusted horribly. They did so in just a few months and I live in an area where rust is really not a problem.

Have any of you switched to stainless steel? If so, where did you purchase them?

I do not see any way to prevent the rust. The washers are in direct contact with a stone that is damp all of the time. The washers then start the nut to rust.

HELP!

Thanks in advance!

Enjoy,

Jim

I'm pretty sure SS nuts, bolts, etc. are available at most hardware store including the BORGs. Expensive.

Jim...EVERY item that I can get to the nuts, bolts, screws, etc...are always replaced with stainless. Then again, as most of our Floridian members will tell you, being close to salt water dictates that kind of action.

Good luck!...I always pick then up at a Marine supply shop in New Smyrna Beach.

I have been trying to find SS. I did find some plated nuts at Lowe's the correct size.

I have two Lowe's and two Home Depot's within a 3 1/2 mile radius. None of them can even get close to the size I need in SS. To them 1/4 inch is big in SS.

I had NOT thought of going down to the marina. It didn't even enter the mind of this sea port town woodworker. I think I have been down there 3x in the past 27 years. I did check McFeeley with no joy. Jet does not carry SS. Rockler does not know if Jet and Tormek use same size and thread. They don't know what Tormek uses period.

I have not found the size nuts and washers that Tormek uses.
Jet uses 12-M nuts and 30mm washers that are 4 1/2 mm thick.

I think this covers all of the responders points. I'll go through the list again to be sure.

I was planning to lube the new nuts and the shaft. However I was not sure what to use. Thanks to you guys n gals, now I do.

Enjoy,

Jim

Aren't these left handed thread? If so, I am thinking Lowe's and the usual folks that serve the masses are out. McMaster-Carr, Grainger, MSC, etc. perhaps. If you can get the thread size and count, put your other kid on the trail. He has worked with some suppliers of products that are out of the mainstream. ;-) +1 on some anti-seize; I imagine the usual risks are present as when other different metal combinations come together but have no specific experience.

It is a right hand thread.

As I remember from my high-school and college chemistry classes---electrolysis can happen between any two metals.

Jim, I don't have a clue. Replacing shaft and all would be a great answer.
Should I add, Unless it is a difficult thing to do?

Enjoy,

Jim

Replacing the shaft on the Tormek is actually prettty easy, Dunno about the Jet.

For your SS stuff - it the local ship's chandlery doesn't have it, try Fastenal.

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the info. I am going to do the following:

Try the marine supply down at the harbor. If no joy, I will

Contact the nearest Tru-Value. If no success, I will

Telephone Jeff at SharpTools USA. If that does not work, I will

Call Fastenal and see if they will sell in quantities less than 50.

Thanks for sending the Jet tech drawing and the part number. I do have that info in my Jet Slow Speed manual.

Changing just the nut and washers sounds like the easiest solution.
Changing shaft, nut and washers sounds like the best solution.

I will let you know where this all ends. At least now I have some useable ideas---my ideas didn't work out so well.

Enjoy,

Jim

And thanks again!!!

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the info. I am going to do the following:

Try the marine supply down at the harbor. If no joy, I will

Contact the nearest Tru-Value. If no success, I will

Telephone Jeff at SharpTools USA. If that does not work, I will

Call Fastenal and see if they will sell in quantities less than 50.

Thanks for sending the Jet tech drawing and the part number. I do have that info in my Jet Slow Speed manual.

Changing just the nut and washers sounds like the easiest solution.
Changing shaft, nut and washers sounds like the best solution.

I will let you know where this all ends. At least now I have some useable ideas---my ideas didn't work out so well.

Enjoy,

Jim

And thanks again!!!

Ain't it nice to be part of the collective brain... like the BORG on Star Trek??:thumb::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Check with your local commercial bolt supply houses. They usually carry all types and sizes of nuts, bolts and washers that are used commercially, up to and including grade 8 bolts. Most places will sell individual pieces or bulk quantities.