Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Welder and welding question

Welder and welding question

I know nothing about welding, but would like to learn.

This is available locally, and seems like a good deal. Is it? Would it be a good starter unit? I'm looking to weld fairly light duty stuff, not a truck chassis.

http://utica.craigslist.org/tls/2119284064.html

If it is all there and working that is not bad, I see it new online for abut $300.

It is not a great unit, but for what you want to do, it would be OK. It is a cheaper welder, lower duty cycle and amps, I was not able to find out if you can add a bottle of gas for shielded welding or not The flux core stuff is messy compared to shielded gas welding, but it is good for outside work. Should run off of any 120v 20 amp receptacle, which is good too.

A little more searching and it looks like it can take a bottle and regulator.

If it is in good shape, for $100, why not
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

I've got a little cheapy welder and it does just fine for general fixing up stuff and messing around. In theory I can hook a bottle up to it for shielding gas, but never have. I used it to make my fireplace tools, weld up a firebox to modify a BBQ Grill into a smoker, motorized bicycle exaust , and probably a bunch of other small things.

I'd say go for it.

Well, I've got an email in to the seller. Brent, I don't have a specific project in mind, but just think it would be useful to be able to fabricate some stuff out of metal, like the things you mentioned.

It definitely gives you more options on how to fabricate things.

In fact I used it a few times when I was doing the laminate in the kitchen to repair a tool I was using to pry up the old floor.

It just comes in handy every now and then.

I got mine free from my BIL, and it's a little worse for the wear, but still works good. Once I got the settings down, i.e. the power and speed of the feed, it works even better...

Welder and welding question

Ken, that will probably work for a beginner welder. Price is not bad.

The only thing I have found on the cheaper import welders is the solid state wire feed controllers. That circuit board can be prone to failure, making the unit inoperable, and they can be expensive to replace.

If you can, I would wait and look for a decent priced Lincoln "Weldpak 100" or one of the other similar models. They are made heavier duty, have a magnetic contactor, and much heavier wire feed motor and drive and last well.

After owning 2 of the cheaper imports (and having the problems I mentioned) I bought one of these Lincolns and never looked back. That was nearly 18 years ago, and it's still working fine. I did add the shield gas kit to it and have done stainless steel, light guage aluminum and up to 1/4" steel with it. I use Co2 as a shield gas with the flux core wire which helps keep the spatter down and the weld metal flow better. (Flux core wire is actually like a "stick" electrode with the flux on the inside, and they both spatter)

I highly recommend it, and I have no interest in the company or dealers.

Aloha, Tony
    "You got to learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make them all yourself". (Author unknown)

"Time flies like..... an arrow,,,Fruit flies like..... a banana." Groucho Marx

Ah,,,to live in Paradise!

Registered voting member

Fighting for all I am worth, and praying every day.

Ken, being a true neander, would you not be better served with a forge in your shop? Weld the old school way

Steve, That's funny. Maybe I'm more of a neander wannabe. I thought about blacksmithing, but you're looking at some major tool, skills and equipt there.

learning to weld has been on my list of stuff I'd love to learn how to do for quite some time. I've been looking at the ones sold at HF.
    Faith, Hope & Charity

Ken just look at it as a new adventure. When you get real good you can come a trim our donkeys toenails