Organizing the "Bunk House"

Brent Dowell

Administrator
Staff member
So, The previous owners had made a little room (10'x13') out part of the garage. The called it the bunk house. Can't imagine anyone ever living in the windowless little thing, but that's another story.

Naturallly we used it for storage. Had a mixture of steel shelving and cabinets with doors. Well, we could never get into the cabs with doors due to junk in the way, and the seperate shelving units made it difficult to get things in and out. Just not very conducive to organizing.

So decided to fix that.

We tore everything out of the room. I found a remnant of carpet at home depot to replace the old one. Apparently they used to lock some sort of animal up in the room, cause the old carpet was pretty scratched up in one place.

I bought some cheap plywood at home depot for 25$ a sheet. I made a little cutting table for the ply with a 'flipper upper' to help get the ply on the table. Sure, I could manhandle the 4'x8' sheet of 3/4 ply, but that little hook on a hinge sure makes it a lot easier.

I also made a little jig for a circular saw to cut out the shelving. It worked so good I accidently cut up two extra sheets of plywood into 15 7/8" wide shelving!

We decided that 16" was about as deep as a shelf needed to be. Perfect size for a bankers box. Any deeper and you will never see, or get to, what is at the back of the shelf...

Table and sheet goods flipper upper
shelf_01.jpg

shelf_02.jpg

Circular saw panel ripping jig. Marginally adjustable. Just need to undo the screws int he bottom and measure from the blade to the fence. It actually worked great for cutting long, same sized shelves from the plywood. I set it up to be about 15 7/8" so I could get 3 equal sized shelves from each panel.
shelf_03.jpg

shelf_04.jpg

Final product, ready to be filled. No junk will be allowed to go back into the room! Look out Good will and Ebay, here we come!

shelf_05.jpg

shelf_06.jpg

shelf_07.jpg

I picked up 20 sheets... Figured I'll use it and I might as well get it while it's on deal. I'm planning on doing a complete garage redo this spring, and I'm sure that little stack will go pretty fast.

Ok so how do you get Flipper to put the ply on the table for you?
And do you have to give him a mackerel for every sheet or just one at the end of the day?:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Ok so how do you get Flipper to put the ply on the table for you?
And do you have to give him a mackerel for every sheet or just one at the end of the day?:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

The dolphin might have to file a grievance if it were only once at the end of the day. Flippers are allowed one over lunch and at least two others during the day.

I'll give it this long to last. :p
If that long Vaughn! Started filling it up already! :rofl: :rofl:

It's new name will be the 'Junk House'... :rofl:

Your gonna have to enplane just what a "flipper-upper" is and how it works.:thumb:

There's a stick that's attached to the table with a hinge and extends down to the ground. At the bottom there is a piece of metal strapping I bent into a hook and screwed that to the stick. You put one end of the plywood panel into the hook and from the other side you simply flip the panel. The hinge and hook keeps the panel from sliding off at the far end and then it's an easy matter to slide the panel onto the cutting table.

Sure I could just do it on the ground with a piece of foam insulation, but cutting the panel is so much easier done at a proper working height.

Ok so maybe when I'm old and feeble I'll look into one of them. But for now It just seems like such a pain.:thumb::rofl::rofl::rofl: