Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vaughn, you okay?

Vaughn, you okay?

Been watching the weather news, and they say you guys got a year's worth of rain over the past couple days, with flooding, landslides, etc.

Thay also said there've been quite a few evacuations. Here's hoping you're not among them!

Status report, please?
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!

We're in good shape here, Jim. Fortunately, we're not directly below any of the burn areas (we're more adjacent than below) so we've not been affected by the mudslides. Our back yard has about 3 or 4 inches of standing water in it, though.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Good to hear! It's not nice when the top of a canyon suddenly becomes the bottom!

I knew the area around you had burned a couple seasons ago, and was therefore concerned. Try to stay dry! At least your standing water isn't gonna freeze now.
    Jim D.

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    glad your OK it looks like it gonna hit here this evening.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Jim DeLaney View Post
    ...I knew the area around you had burned a couple seasons ago, and was therefore concerned. Try to stay dry! At least your standing water isn't gonna freeze now.
    There are a few neighborhoods near here (1/2 to 1 mile away, I'd guess) that are under a lot more threat of mudslides than we are, but I don't think any of them have been evacuated yet. (Although I've not checked the news yet today, so I could be wrong about that.)

Funny you mentioned the freezing...I was thinking if it'd freeze, I could take the dogs out back and teach them how to play hockey.

I've got a buddy who drives a plow/salt truck for the Ohio Department of Transportation. I know a day or two ago he was not looking forward to the ice storms they were predicting in his part of the state. He says the last time they had a bad ice storm, he had pretty much emptied his load of salt when a gust of wind caught the truck and caused it to do a 540º pirouette right in front of a state trooper. He had to drop the plow to stop the skid. Compared to that, we've got it easy.

workingwoods.com

Bummer! I spent a few yrs out in san berdoo, big bear and arrowhead...WAY too many fires out there to be good for anything. Take care amigo and don't play superhero! If it's time to jet.....get the family outa there and jet. We can replace "stuff".

Quote Originally Posted by michael james View Post
    Bummer! I spent a few yrs out in san berdoo, big bear and arrowhead...WAY too many fires out there to be good for anything. Take care amigo and don't play superhero! If it's time to jet.....get the family outa there and jet. We can replace "stuff".
    Michael, you weren't a member here last year when we had front row seats to the Station Fire. I still get chills when I read through this thread. It was a heck of a week...

http://www.familywoodworking.org/for...ad.php?t=15489

workingwoods.com

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    ...I've got a buddy who drives a plow/salt truck for the Ohio Department of Transportation. I know a day or two ago he was not looking forward to the ice storms they were predicting in his part of the state. He says the last time they had a bad ice storm, he had pretty much emptied his load of salt when a gust of wind caught the truck and caused it to do a 540º pirouette right in front of a state trooper. He had to drop the plow to stop the skid. Compared to that, we've got it easy.
    Where in Ohio is he? Right now, it sounds like my part of the state. The predicted two feet of snow missed us, but it's still snowing some every day, and it's only been above freezing once since Thanksgiving.

If you've seen the National News pics of the Cleveland Lighthouse covered in ice, that's just a bit North of here, and we still get the 'lake effect' snow.
    Jim D.

Vaughn McMillan: "Michael, you weren't a member here last year when we had front row seats to the Station Fire. I still get chills when I read through this thread. It was a heck of a week..."

deja vu! I wish you the best of luck. That was a depressing read, but glad you made out OK.
    Last edited by michael james; 12-21-2010 at 01:47 AM. Reason: quoting problems

Quote Originally Posted by Jim DeLaney View Post
    Where in Ohio is he? Right now, it sounds like my part of the state...
    He's in the Cleveland area. Sounds like a good place to not be right now.

The rains have picked up here as the day progressed today. We were getting an inch an hour there for a while this afternoon. The big storm is supposed to come through tomorrow.

workingwoods.com