Vaughn, you okay?

Jim DeLaney

Staff member
Been watching the weather news, and they say you guys got a year's worth of rain over the past couple days, with flooding, landslides, etc.

Thay also said there've been quite a few evacuations. Here's hoping you're not among them!

Status report, please?

We're in good shape here, Jim. Fortunately, we're not directly below any of the burn areas (we're more adjacent than below) so we've not been affected by the mudslides. Our back yard has about 3 or 4 inches of standing water in it, though.

Good to hear! It's not nice when the top of a canyon suddenly becomes the bottom! :eek::eek::eek:

I knew the area around you had burned a couple seasons ago, and was therefore concerned. Try to stay dry! At least your standing water isn't gonna freeze now. :D:D

...I knew the area around you had burned a couple seasons ago, and was therefore concerned. Try to stay dry! At least your standing water isn't gonna freeze now. :D:D

There are a few neighborhoods near here (1/2 to 1 mile away, I'd guess) that are under a lot more threat of mudslides than we are, but I don't think any of them have been evacuated yet. (Although I've not checked the news yet today, so I could be wrong about that.)

Funny you mentioned the freezing...I was thinking if it'd freeze, I could take the dogs out back and teach them how to play hockey. :p

I've got a buddy who drives a plow/salt truck for the Ohio Department of Transportation. I know a day or two ago he was not looking forward to the ice storms they were predicting in his part of the state. He says the last time they had a bad ice storm, he had pretty much emptied his load of salt when a gust of wind caught the truck and caused it to do a 540º pirouette right in front of a state trooper. He had to drop the plow to stop the skid. Compared to that, we've got it easy. ;)

Bummer!:eek: I spent a few yrs out in san berdoo, big bear and arrowhead...WAY too many fires out there to be good for anything. Take care amigo and don't play superhero! If it's time to jet.....get the family outa there and jet. We can replace "stuff".

Bummer!:eek: I spent a few yrs out in san berdoo, big bear and arrowhead...WAY too many fires out there to be good for anything. Take care amigo and don't play superhero! If it's time to jet.....get the family outa there and jet. We can replace "stuff".

Michael, you weren't a member here last year when we had front row seats to the Station Fire. I still get chills when I read through this thread. It was a heck of a week...

http://www.familywoodworking.org/forums/showthread.php?t=15489

...I've got a buddy who drives a plow/salt truck for the Ohio Department of Transportation. I know a day or two ago he was not looking forward to the ice storms they were predicting in his part of the state. He says the last time they had a bad ice storm, he had pretty much emptied his load of salt when a gust of wind caught the truck and caused it to do a 540º pirouette right in front of a state trooper. He had to drop the plow to stop the skid. Compared to that, we've got it easy. ;)

Where in Ohio is he? Right now, it sounds like my part of the state. The predicted two feet of snow missed us, but it's still snowing some every day, and it's only been above freezing once since Thanksgiving.

If you've seen the National News pics of the Cleveland Lighthouse covered in ice, that's just a bit North of here, and we still get the 'lake effect' snow.

Vaughn McMillan: "Michael, you weren't a member here last year when we had front row seats to the Station Fire. I still get chills when I read through this thread. It was a heck of a week..."

deja vu! I wish you the best of luck. That was a depressing read, but glad you made out OK.

Last edited:
Where in Ohio is he? Right now, it sounds like my part of the state...

He's in the Cleveland area. Sounds like a good place to not be right now.

The rains have picked up here as the day progressed today. We were getting an inch an hour there for a while this afternoon. The big storm is supposed to come through tomorrow. :rolleyes:

I went to Barstow once, it was closed...

I spent a week there one night.
:D:rofl::rofl::rofl:

I had that happen to me literally in Gallup, NM. Got sent out there for a one-day job on a Monday, but due to problems on the jobsite I ended up staying there until Saturday. Every night when I headed to the motel, I'd stop at JC Penney and buy a change of underwear and a clean shirt. Wednesday or Thursday, I also bought a pair of clean jeans.

you should go outside and splash in the puddles... you will definitely feel better =)

I just got done doing that. Took the dogs out front to do their business since the back yard's a bit too deep or muddy (depending on location). Even though it was the front yard, there were still puddles involved. :D We ended up going for a walk down the street a bit and left a few messages for all the neighborhood dogs. :p

I had that happen to me literally in Gallup, NM. Got sent out there for a one-day job on a Monday, but due to problems on the jobsite I ended up staying there until Saturday. Every night when I headed to the motel, I'd stop at JC Penney and buy a change of underwear and a clean shirt. Wednesday or Thursday, I also bought a pair of clean jeans.

There's a JC Pennys's in Gallup... :huh::dunno::rofl:

He's in the Cleveland area. Sounds like a good place to not be right now.

The rains have picked up here as the day progressed today. We were getting an inch an hour there for a while this afternoon. The big storm is supposed to come through tomorrow. :rolleyes:

Cleveland is always "a good place to not be" :rofl: there's a reason they call it "the mistake on the lake"! and yes, I've spent lots of time there....glad you're okay Vaughn.