Thread: Elio Drive - Update

Elio Drive - Update

My brother-in-law came down today from Oregon and brought me some more wood - Pictures below -Brought down some Alder, alot of Maple and a large Maple burl.
    He wanted to do some turning so I set up my hollowing rig and attached the new cutters that I bought from Brian McEvoy - In the other post I mentioned that i bought the Elio drive and turned up to 8" diameter vase. Today, we turned a large Walnut bowl 14" with a final diameter of around 12 1/2"...... I used the Elio drive on it as I was making a natural edge bowl. I adjusted the pins, put it in the headstock, held the blank up to it and secured the tailstock. I will admit I was a bit nervous about using this on this blank but it handled it fine with no slipping or problems. Overall, I am glad I bought it...............well worth the $40.00
    I have no affiliation with Brian or his buss.

Brians website is: http://onegoodturn.ca/
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Elio-8.jpg   Elio-10.jpg   Maple-1.jpg   Maple-2.jpg   Maple-3.jpg  

Maple-Burl.jpg   Rig-14.jpg   Rig-12.jpg   Rig-15.jpg   Harbor-2.jpg  

First you have to learn the rules - Beginner
    Then you have to learn advanced rules - Professional
    Then you disregard the rules - This takes you to the master level................

That wood is no good. Its got moss on it and could be better used in my workshop. Just package it up and ship it here.

Nice vase by the way.

yeah I do that Glenn but the shipping is $200.......LOL
    Then you disregard the rules - This takes you to the master level................

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Mosley View Post
    yeah I do that Glenn but the shipping is $200.......LOL
    How about if I just drop down there and pick it up? I'd hate to see you have to spend $200 to ship it to Glenn.

That's a great-looking haul, Dan. Looks like you're in for some fun.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Looks pretty good Dan. I just got his DVD on two piece vases and his new one on embellishments. Piercing, air brushing, pryography, texturing, etc.
    Bernie W.

Retirement: Thats when you return from work one day
    and say, Hi, Honey, Im home forever.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

Nice haul and that is quite a boring bar ya got there sir!

Glen.............LMAO.....ok you win on that

Bernie..........I have the DVD on deep hollowing - very good video and easy to understand........bought some tooling at the same time but have not tried it all out yet but so far they are working perfectly......
    Let me know what you think of the other videos.....i thought about getting them but i haven't yet........

Mike - thanks....the bar is 1 1/2 inch diameter solid, I am guessing but probably just the bar and handle are 50lbs plus.....works good.....LOL

PS............I send Brian the link to family woodworking and I "think" he has joined up so if you need some questions answered im sure he would.

Dan I did a couple of his two piece bowls and it is sure a lot easier than hollowing them as one piece. You can sand the inside to 320 and smooth. I put a couple of coats of lacquer on the inside making sure not to get any on the glue joint. I have them drying from the finish. Really makes it simple. I already had the delta faceplates with the center hole to get them perfectly centered and turned to the same size. I haven't had time yet to watch the third video on the embellishments. Will let you know.
    Bernie W.

Retirement: Thats when you return from work one day
    and say, Hi, Honey, Im home forever.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.