Dado Monster Machine build

Carol Reed

In Memoriam
OK, the build begins!

The project is to make a radial arm saw into a pneumatically driven dado maker.

I have a Delta Rockwell 900 RAS, vintage 1958. It needs some work. Thus far I have cleaned up and re-lubed the stops. The bigger problem is the elevating mechanism. The first problem was the elevator screw. It was bent - in three places. My brother straighten it to within .040 concentrically. I think that will work.

Here is the current problem: I cannot get the column out of the column support. It needs serious cleaning, polishing, and lubing to work well again. I have been soaking it in PB and whacking on it with the dead blow hammer. It will go so far and no further. There does not seem to a mechanical hang-up, either visually or in the manual.

Needless to say, replacement parts are out of the question. Any thoughts to get it out of the column support all together?

No pictures yet. All you would see is a pile of parts on the bench and its too darn cold out there to take a snapshot tonight.

Looking forward to the project Carol! One of my next (ok, next few hundred) projects is re-furbishing my FIL's old Red Star Radial arm saw and putting it to use. I'm actually planning on redoing my entire shop around it as the center piece. All of the bits and bobs on it seem to work, as far as elevating and whatever, so I'm not sure I have much to offer in help, but any pics you can post will be greedily consumed by me... :thumb:

If I understand what you are saying Carol, the main column on the machine will not come out of the base of the machine, is that correct?

Pictures would certainly help.

Some stuff I've found.....

http://www.owwm.com/pubs/detail.aspx?id=2341 <- parts diagram of a similar (?) RAS...?

http://www.owwm.com/pubs/detail.aspx?id=512 << Is this your saw?

If there is no mechanical reason the column will not come out, maybe some heat of the outside piece would help?

Cheers!

Might pull the key gib screw and see if the gib will come out if it's not already. There's a possibility it could have worn into the column key preventing it from coming out. :dunno: :huh:

Hey Carol,

Over on the Canadian Woodworking forum, you might look up this post by David Eisen, who also added pneumatic control to an old RAS.

(or if you don't want to join that forum in order to see the images, here is a link directly to his video on youtube)

Hope you get it figured out!
...art

Thanks, guys. I am about to go out and try again. Taking the camera this time.

Art, I am familiar with Dave's project. It was his video's that inspired me, and yes, I am a member of that forum as well.

Stu, thanks for the links. I had one but not the other. Do now! My model is not the Super 900, just the plain 900. Difference appear to be a larger motor and cosmetic for the Super model. I am trying to document everything as I go.

Jeff, one of the first things I did was join OWWM. I have not yet asked about a donor machine. Hope it does not come to that.

Darren and Stu, I will locate the gib screw(s) and see what's what. I am also getting out the big magnifying glass!

Don, I have gear and wheel pullers. Thanks.

For everyone else, lay in a supply of popcorn. This will take a while. Too cold and rainy to paint parts as I rebuild. But no snow. Thank God!

Success!

Lots of Blaster PB, a chunk of wood, the dead-blow hammer, and a bunch of pulling, but it separated.

All cleaned up now and the whole machine is back together.

Sorry, haven't done the picture loading, editing, and uploading yet. Got to get back to getting ready for Christmas Eve service. But 'tis the season for anticipation, isn't it? :rofl::rofl:

Next is back to the circuitry. Couldn't find the 'latch' relay Vaughn talked about. Got a DPDT 110VAC relay from RS. Will post the diagram later.

Back to my 'real' job.