Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Got a planer problem

Got a planer problem

Hi everyone. Hope you got to see the lunar eclips. We are socked in solid here, so we missed it.

My planer problem is with the feed rollers on my Delta 22-540 12" "lunchbox", which doesn't see a lot of use and is like new yet. The rollers are not gripping the wood and I have to push or pull the pieces through. The rollers are clean and in good shape and are turning. The springs have plenty of tension so the rollers are contacting the wood pretty well. The stainless bed plate is clean and has been waxed too. The wood pieces have been run through my jointer so the down side of the 5" wide boards are clean and smooth. Still, most of the time now, I have to help the wood through.

Who else has had this problem? (I know I can't be the only one), and what did you do about it? Seems as if the roller rubber is not "biting" the wood surface.

Solutions or suggestions? I cannot afford to replace parts just now, and a new planer is out of the question.

Thanks for any help.

Aloha, Tony
    "You got to learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make them all yourself". (Author unknown)

"Time flies like..... an arrow,,,Fruit flies like..... a banana." Groucho Marx

Ah,,,to live in Paradise!

Registered voting member

Fighting for all I am worth, and praying every day.

Tony,
    when my DW734 gets that way, I look to the blades, not the rollers, sharp blades usually clears that problem.
    -Ned

Tony, you say the rollers are clean, but I find if I wipe them down with denatured alcohol before it seems to make the more grippy. (I do the same thing with my jointer push blocks and Grrripper on the tablesaw.)

Ned's suggestion of making sure the blades are sharp is also a good one. I've had that dog bite me before, too.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ned Bulken View Post
    Tony,
    when my DW734 gets that way, I look to the blades, not the rollers, sharp blades usually clears that problem.
    +1 on checking the blades. Dull blades can make it tough for the planer to pull the wood through...

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    +1 for what Ned said
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Put a coat of wax on the bed, that will also help it go thru easier

Second, the wax the bed.

I came in late.
    Third it, wax the bed.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Got a planer problem

Hi people, Thanks for the suggestions. The blades were flipped over the last time I serviced the planer. It doesn't get that much use, but the cutting edges should be just about new. I wrote that "The stainless bed plate is clean and has been waxed too." I'll do it again to see if it helps. I will also try the alcohol wipedown as Vaughn said.

Thanks a lot. I will see what happens.

Aloha, Tony
    "You got to learn from the mistakes of others. You won't live long enough to make them all yourself". (Author unknown)

"Time flies like..... an arrow,,,Fruit flies like..... a banana." Groucho Marx

Ah,,,to live in Paradise!

Registered voting member

Fighting for all I am worth, and praying every day.

Depimg om the wood and the way it was stored can dull knives very quick. Wood that has been sitting on the ground or in a barn can get alot of grit in/on it and basiclly sand the blades dull. Try the new blades and it sshould fix it.