Want a CNC Router

I've been reading lots of forums looking for information to help me make a decision on what CNC machine I should purchase. I'm retired and looking to get deeper into woodworking as a hobbyist not a business. I have no interest in building one and have a $4k budget. I'll be using the machine to do carvings, cutouts, and signs initially and expand from there.
I've only seen two machines; the Shark and the i-Carver that fit my budget.
The Shark has a dedicated forum with tons of information but I'm not finding hardly any information on the i-Carver.
I'm looking for information on any other system I should consider as well as information on the i-Carver. Any information that you'all could provide would be greatly appreciated.

Jim Sparks

Outside of your budget, but the CAMaster Stinger looks to be a nice machine. I'm going to Florida shortly and I'm debating swinging by the factory in Georgia to check it out.

Outside of your budget, but the CAMaster Stinger looks to be a nice machine. I'm going to Florida shortly and I'm debating swinging by the factory in Georgia to check it out.

The Stinger has caught my eye. (Not that I can afford one right now, but it does seem like a tool that could pay for itself.) If you go by the factory, I'd be interested to see your remarks on it. The Shark and iCarver look interesting, too, although they don't appear to be as beefy, and I wonder how much tweaking they take to keep things aligned. I was also really tempted to buy a Carveright when they first came out, but they seem to be a lot more limited and I've seen a fair number of people who've run into problems with them.

I was also really tempted to buy a Carveright when they first came out, but they seem to be a lot more limited and I've seen a fair number of people who've run into problems with them.

I have heard nothing but bad things about the Carveright.

I'm kicking around buying a Stinger II. The lathe option, (I think they call it recoil?) really interestes me. Being able to do some simple carving would probably be beneficial as well.

It is absolutely amazing how inexpensive these machines have become isn't it? Ten years ago you'd be looking at a $150k bill on a good commercial grade CNC, now the same unit isn't even $30k.

I have heard nothing but bad things about the Carveright.

I'm kicking around buying a Stinger II. The lathe option, (I think they call it recoil?) really interestes me. Being able to do some simple carving would probably be beneficial as well.

It is absolutely amazing how inexpensive these machines have become isn't it? Ten years ago you'd be looking at a $150k bill on a good commercial grade CNC, now the same unit isn't even $30k.

You got that right Karl when I had my shop my CNC cost me $109,000 a machine as good now can be had for 30 to 60 and do it faster.

Had a ShopBot. Loved it. It made money for me.

Been thinking about another, but smaller. Heretic that I am, I read the CNC forum on SMC. The Stinger gets good comments.