Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: New location?

Question New location?

I have been toying with this idea since June of 2009. Lately it has been on my mind more and more. If you could live anywhere in the us, where would you go? One thing for sure it wont be this far north and it wont be any farther south the Tenn.Just getting sick of NY and all peeps around here.

I always wanted to move to south central Kentucky
    A Turn N Time
    Components for John Smith Organs and the Hobby Organ Builder

Frog Pond Guitars

Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Al,
    I'm obviously biased, western/northern VA is beatiful, but I've enjoyed the Knoxville and Nashville areas, along with Louisville KY and even northern GA/Western NC.

And other than that... I'm leaning toward AZ and NM... and possibly OR.
    -Ned

You probably don't want to move this far but I'd recommend either Oregon or Washington as a fairly nice place to live with a broad diversity of climate, terrain and culture. They're fairly similar with the notable exception that Washington doesn't have a state income tax (if that matters).

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Lyon View Post
    You probably don't want to move this far but I'd recommend either Oregon or Washington as a fairly nice place to live with a broad diversity of climate, terrain and culture. They're fairly similar with the notable exception that Washington doesn't have a state income tax (if that matters).
    +1 on the Pacific Northwest. Sea, mountains and temperate climate. My favorite place here? Port Townsend.

Sounds like you need to go on a walkabout and see where you fit.
    “When love and skill work together, expect a masterpiece.” - John Ruskin
    “Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.” - Oscar Wilde

Sharon and I did that several years ago. We knew we wanted to move from where we were living. So we drove our camper all around the west checking out different areas. Finally settled on Reno and we couldn't be happier with our choice.

Definitely recommend visiting the areas you like a few times and check out the area in detail.

I'm kinda partial to New Mexico since that's where I grew up, although there are some places in Arizona I think I'd like to live, too. The Pacific Northwest is also appealing to me, although I've never really spent any time up there. (LOML would rule out that area because she hates rain, and thinks it rains there 356 days a year.)
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Satko View Post
    My favorite place here? Port Townsend.
    Couldn't agree more. Beautiful scenery, awesome fishing, fantastic wood source (Edensaw), and reasonably affordable.

The problem is, the best places don't stay that way for long. I went to college in San Luis Obispo, CA when it was a sleepy town. Pismo Beach to the south. Morro Bay to the north. I would have wanted to stay there forever if it was the same as back in the ah-hums. However everyone found out how nice it was and now it is just another sprawling suburb.

I think I'll stick with our 68 acres in desert paradise and suck up the semi-cold winters. No state taxes either

68 acres, man, well,, woman, youre killing me.....68 acres, really?

Thats 9 zipcodes where I live.
    Last edited by allen levine; 12-22-2010 at 04:03 AM.