New location?

Al killian

I have been toying with this idea since June of 2009. Lately it has been on my mind more and more. If you could live anywhere in the us, where would you go? One thing for sure it wont be this far north and it wont be any farther south the Tenn.Just getting sick of NY and all peeps around here.

Al,
I'm obviously biased, western/northern VA is beatiful, but I've enjoyed the Knoxville and Nashville areas, along with Louisville KY and even northern GA/Western NC.

And other than that... I'm leaning toward AZ and NM... and possibly OR.

You probably don't want to move this far but I'd recommend either Oregon or Washington as a fairly nice place to live with a broad diversity of climate, terrain and culture. They're fairly similar with the notable exception that Washington doesn't have a state income tax (if that matters).

You probably don't want to move this far but I'd recommend either Oregon or Washington as a fairly nice place to live with a broad diversity of climate, terrain and culture. They're fairly similar with the notable exception that Washington doesn't have a state income tax (if that matters).

+1 on the Pacific Northwest. Sea, mountains and temperate climate. My favorite place here? Port Townsend.

Sounds like you need to go on a walkabout and see where you fit.

Sharon and I did that several years ago. We knew we wanted to move from where we were living. So we drove our camper all around the west checking out different areas. Finally settled on Reno and we couldn't be happier with our choice.

Definitely recommend visiting the areas you like a few times and check out the area in detail.

I'm kinda partial to New Mexico since that's where I grew up, although there are some places in Arizona I think I'd like to live, too. The Pacific Northwest is also appealing to me, although I've never really spent any time up there. (LOML would rule out that area because she hates rain, and thinks it rains there 356 days a year.)

The problem is, the best places don't stay that way for long. I went to college in San Luis Obispo, CA when it was a sleepy town. Pismo Beach to the south. Morro Bay to the north. I would have wanted to stay there forever if it was the same as back in the ah-hums. However everyone found out how nice it was and now it is just another sprawling suburb.

I think I'll stick with our 68 acres in desert paradise and suck up the semi-cold winters. No state taxes either :thumb::thumb:

California - north or south - is about the closest thing to Paradise that exists on this earth.

Mike

Use to think the same thing but as it got over crowded I learned differantly. Now if LOML would do it I'd look for something like Brent and Sharon have but she's to much of a city girl so I have to settle for a place in the country but close enough so she can get to the mall in less then an hour.

Use to think the same thing but as it got over crowded I learned differantly. Now if LOML would do it I'd look for something like Brent and Sharon have but she's to much of a city girl so I have to settle for a place in the country but close enough so she can get to the mall in less then an hour.

Save Mart (groceries) is 16 miles/16 minutes away. HD/Costco/WM/Kohls/BBB and a bunch of other stores are 20 miles (25 minutes away). There's a few houses on our road for sale. Come on up :wave::wave:

No one going to say Colorado? Its got open space too and mountains.:thumb:

Al that is a tough one. I think there are so many places in the US that are absolutely gorgous. I have no clue as to the people in these places though but if i had to judge from my experiences it would be the south. People down in Tennessee have been absolutely amazing to me. Wow its a tough one. What are the criteria you would use.

Weather/climate, taxes, crime, schools (if you have kids) house prices, unemployment, environment, political demographic?, state financial situation as in state debt what about state population or influence in the federal gov although i would imagine thats a undefinable variable.

Well, I'm a native Southern California guy. I have always loved living here. However, now we are a little different than Sharon. I can be in the store of almost any chain in 15 minutes. There are two Lowe's and two Home Depots within 3 1/2 miles of my house and if the traffic is light I can be in any of them within 15 minutes.

When we moved to Oceanside about 30 years ago there was all kinds of open land. Now, if you look down from an airplane, it still looks like open land---However, it is really roofs of houses not natural fields.

We used to like to take a short ride in the evening to enjoy the hills and ocean views. Now it is not relaxing because there is a cotton-pickin' stop sign at almost every corner. You can't see the ocean from a car when you are only a small city block from it. The houses are jammed together along the beach like boards in a fence and they provide you the same view as the fence.

I could not afford to buy my 27 or 28 year old house today. I was talking with a man who wants to retire. Unfortunately he has not done well financially. I expressed concern about how he could afford to live. He said that money wasn't a problem if he moved. He was offered 29 million dollars for his house---a small house on the beach. However, he didn't want to move.

Good Gosh---this has turned into a Rant.

I shall leave you now. Be of good cheer and

Enjoy,

Jim

I have had the opportunity to travel the country extensively. I have been asked to relocate to Las Vegas, California, Ohio, Arizona, Florida and Saudi Arabia :eek:.

Nothing could get me to move from New Hampshire. No sales or income tax, not a lot of people. 4 distinct seasons, just an hour or 2 from lakes, ocean or mountains. The snow and cold gets tough to take lately but it's worth it.

If I was forced to move it would probably be to Utah or Nevada. Beautiful States :thumb:

Hi Allen,

I am probably one of the last people to advise on where to live in the US since I have lived in Japan for the last 30+ years. However, I have looked a great deal. My Father was a farmer in Duchess county, New York and I was raised in West Virginia and Kingston, NY.

He and his bride used to travel to Asheville, NC for the winters. Personally, I like VA. I think you need a place that is close to universities. They usually have lots of activities for people other than students. Also, universities also have medical schools which usually means that your local quality of health care will be pretty good.

However, ultimately, I think you need to find a place with people you can be friends with. Without community most places lose their appeal pretty quickly. Choose carefully.

from what you have told me you were low on work last year and now you got a gig where your doing 2 kitchens plus trim work a month...i guess i would be looking for a place with guaranteed work unless your independent wealthy..you have got work now and yu may not when yu venture out into the rest of the country.. pretty living doesnt pay the bills