New location?

I've lived in Texas, Guam, California, Arizona and now Tennessee.... I've always joked with the wife that we should have retired to Costa Rica where it's warm year round... but if I have to stay in the U.S., I think I'm in the perfect place here in east Tennessee... the weather never gets too unbearable... I can handle heat fine and the winters don't get too harsh... we have a yukky day today, with a promise of snow by Saturday, but likely to blow by.

We have no income tax, but we do have one of the higher sales taxes in U.S., but my yearly property tax on a full acre here is about the same as what I paid PER MONTH in Houston on a 90 x 100 ft lot.

And there are lots of hard wood trees here to use as fodder for my lathe...:thumb::thumb:

See what did i tell ya Chuck you just said it all Tennessee.:thumb:

But Bob you come in a very close second with New Hampshire. ;) But then whats wrong with Maine and Connecticut or Massachusetts?

Carol i am afraid the picture i have of Arizona in my mind is that of living like the story book hero Davy Crockett behind a pole fort fence defending the homestead. Of course this is all a result of media generated hype.:)

I'm pretty happy were I am now in Des Moines. It's just the right size town. Has all the stores I need within 2-15mins, and 15 more minutes and you're in the country. Lots of things to do, we all 4 seasons (most years anyway). My sister has lived here for about 5yrs and now that my parents retired here a few years ago. :thumb:

No one going to say Colorado? Its got open space too and mountains.:thumb:

Too long of a drive to the ocean. Sea and mountains for me. I also like a change in the seasons. There is a rhythm to it, that I think a person needs. That rules out SoCal and places like it. So it would have to be along the coast (East or West). There is one place that has always intrigued me...New Zealand.

Ive lived within a 15 mile radius my entire life, (just forgetting when I dropped out of college to try florida).
I would not trade the most beautiful state of NY for anyplace.
Within 30 minutes I can be in the greatest city on this planet, and in 20 minutes I can be on some beautiful beach.
The only reason Id ever move is because as I age, dealing with the cold and the snow gets more difficult.

I always wanted to move to south central Kentucky

There ain't no 'south' in Kentucky. It only has an east and west. ;)
We have some lots in Kentucky near the lakes (Barkley and Ky.).
It is nice country but very much like what we have here in the Ozarks. You wouldn't be getting much climate change that you wouldn't experience by moving 150 miles south of where you are now.

See what did i tell ya Chuck you just said it all Tennessee.:thumb:

But Bob you come in a very close second with New Hampshire. ;) But then whats wrong with Maine and Connecticut or Massachusetts?

Carol i am afraid the picture i have of Arizona in my mind is that of living like the story book hero Davy Crockett behind a pole fort fence defending the homestead. Of course this is all a result of media generated hype.:)

ME, Ct and Ma are nice places. But way tooooo expensive. for me. Maine especially is a beautiful state.
NH has been voted the most liveable state many times because of it's low crime rate and tax burden.
Oh, and by the way. My childhood hero Davey Crockett is not a story book. He was a real guy.:rofl::rofl:

When I lived in Edmonton and it was time to move I was sure itching to move to Victoria or maybe a bit north of there up the Peninsula. LOML was rather relieved that I found a job in Southern Ontario (closer to family) instead.

Rob is right, there are lots of gorgeous areas in the US. But like others have said, it's the people/communities that are another big deal. I've passed through some spots in the US, but haven't really visited enough to judge the people and communities.

West Michigan is nice. Went to college there, so I know the area.

But odds are we'd never leave Canada.

Maybe Vermont or Maine...somewhere in that neighborhood. Being one of the last native Californians, they'd boot me out as soon as I called someone "dude!!" But really...Central Washington State. You can always tell when it's summer in Seattle...the rain gets warmer :rofl::rofl:. But I've always heard that places like Yakima are nice.

Good old boring south east Nebraska. I'm 30 minutes away from major shopping in Lincoln. If I need big city exposure (and I don't) K.C. MO. is still a day trip there and back. Syracuse is a quiet town of about 1800 people. I don't lock my car or my house....enough nosy neighbors (they are friendly). We have two grocery stores, a hardware store, lumberyard, gas station, and three (count 'em folks..THREE) saloons! Honestly, I don't go there....last time I was in a bar, a long neck beer was 75 cents and a 12 oz. draw was 40 cents!!:eek: One ol' boy told me that the population always stays the same 'cause every time a woman got pregnant, a man left town.:rofl::rofl::rofl: Any way I enjoy the quiet living but honestly do not care for winter weather....a small penalty.;)

Thanks for the responses so far. Time for a few added things. I do not need to count on working for cash, can always go back on disablilty if I really needed to. Which I really dont consider $1,100 a month living.:rofl: Iwould like it to be more contry then city. I dont like being croweded. Yes, I am Going on a walk about in feb. Leaving here around feb 20 and no return date set, just have to be in Deland florida on feb 25 for a drink fest.:thumb: This summer me and my duaghter are looking at renting a rv and taking a cruise to see a few places. I have talked to her about this move and she said as long as she can visit me on school breaks. This past spring, I spent a few days in springville, ut and like it. At this point all I can say for sure is that I am ready for a new start on life and I cant do it while in ny.

I've lived in Texas, Guam, California, Arizona and now Tennessee.... I've always joked with the wife that we should have retired to Costa Rica where it's warm year round... but if I have to stay in the U.S., I think I'm in the perfect place here in east Tennessee... the weather never gets too unbearable... I can handle heat fine and the winters don't get too harsh... we have a yukky day today, with a promise of snow by Saturday, but likely to blow by.

We have no income tax, but we do have one of the higher sales taxes in U.S., but my yearly property tax on a full acre here is about the same as what I paid PER MONTH in Houston on a 90 x 100 ft lot.

And there are lots of hard wood trees here to use as fodder for my lathe...:thumb::thumb:

You wouldn't like East Tennessee, the men are mean and the woman are ugly.:D You can have West Tennessee, it's too flat and the Devil looks for an air conditioner in the summer!:D

Seriously though, I've always live in East Tennessee and wouldn't want to live anywhere else. If I had to choose another place however it would be the Shenandoah Valley or Western North Carolina. The Asheville area is full of artsy crafty types.

Like Chuck said I have easy access to plenty of fodder for my wood butchery too!:thumb:

This past spring, I spent a few days in springville, ut and like it. At this point all I can say for sure is that I am ready for a new start on life and I cant do it while in ny.

IMHO, Utah is truly the most beautiful state in the union in terms of sheer natural beauty. I am aghast every time I visit the beautifully colored mountains and canyons. Takes my breath away. Just glad I'm right next door.

...Carol i am afraid the picture i have of Arizona in my mind is that of living like the story book hero Davy Crockett behind a pole fort fence defending the homestead. Of course this is all a result of media generated hype.:)

Name the state:

stock-photo-log-cabin-arizona-winter-24009418.jpg

fotolia_10140791_XS.jpg

image.jpeg

And name this state:

oregon-highdesert1.jpg

IMG_3144.JPG

large_EO052.JPG

:D