Bigger Pot

Jim Burr

This is the last of the Spalted Alder :(. The bottom is a little big which I'm fine with...more functional that artsy. I wanted to work on keeping a curve going all the way from top to bottom. Also wanted a smaller opening than the last one, this one is 1-1/16". One good ridge on the inside toward the shoulder...see it? :rolleyes::p, but instead of fighting it with a hole in the middle, I let the ridge win :eek:. Sanded to 600 with 2 coats of WoP. Last coat will be Arm-r-seal cuz...well...I don't know why :huh: 5x4 with 1/4" walls all around. C&C encouraged :wave:

:santa::santa:Merry Christmas everyone!!!:santa::santa:

Attachments

• bigpot1.jpg
    bigpot1.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 25
  • bigpot2.jpg
    bigpot2.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 26
  • bigpot3.jpg
    bigpot3.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 23
  • bigpot4.jpg
    bigpot4.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 21
  • bigpot5.jpg
    bigpot5.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
Very nice. Lovely piece of wood.

It is a little bottom heavy for my tastes, as you pointed out. But I don't know that there is 'wrong' shape here. The original makes made for functionality, not necessarily for form, you know.

I agree with Paul...it has a Native American look to it. Ya done good, Jim. :thumb: You're doing Ellie's alder tree justice. :D

Nice one there, and yeah, the bottom is larger than I usually see, but that doesn't mean anything. Beautiful chunk o wood and a good job on it.:thumb:
A tip of the eggnog jug to you and yours!
mj

Thanks all! I wanted to make a functional pot/vessel this time and it was really fun. Narrow bottoms are great, but sometimes...out of the box is a great time!!:thumb::thumb:
Merry Christmas to all!!!