special gift

Frank Fusco

As you know, my daughter recently moved, with parental help, to Little Rock, Arkansas. She has a house in a nice neighborhood. But, she is still an attractive, young (24) single woman living alone in a city. There are always concerns.
She has a boyfriend, how serious the relationship they won't let on. But, the other day he gave her a gift. In my books it is a genuine gift of love.
He gave her a gun. It is a .380 pocket pistol semi-auto of a good make. She has had some, non-shooting, instruction but will get practice when she comes here to visit.
I am happy with her gift and believe it says a lot about their relationship.
I know not all agree with my point of view. Please, let us not start a pro/anti gun discussion here.

Well Frank I may have to disagree only for the fact that If you have one you'll use it. Just tell her as I'm sure you have , you do not pull a gun unless you are going to use it. I bough my wife a taser for my wife, one that will knock you out in a heart beat from any where on the body when she was taking her masters down town DC. I told her to always carry it in her hand walking to her car after classes at night. Lucky she never had to use it.
I stopped caring a knife because of the rule. I went across a guys face with it one night when I was assaulted by 3 large guys in Asbury Park and never carried a knife after that I could run faster then them but I am good with a knife.
My feelings are there seems to always be an option out But I'm beginning to re-think that these days around here with all the crime and some friends of authority who tell me it would be a good idea too.
It is a very thoughtful gift. You'll need to talk with her.

Hey, I say we use the gun and go on a art gallery robbery rampage and pin it on the boyfriend since it's his gun. :D :rofl:

Actually that's a pretty serious gift and very thoughtful. Though as many times my wife and I broke up before we married it's a good thing I never got one like that for her. :D :rofl:

Well Frank I may have to disagree only for the fact that If you have one you'll use it. Just tell her as I'm sure you have , you do not pull a gun unless you are going to use it. I bough my wife a taser for my wife, one that will knock you out in a heart beat from any where on the body when she was taking her masters down town DC. I told her to always carry it in her hand walking to her car after classes at night. Lucky she never had to use it.
I stopped caring a knife because of the rule. I went across a guys face with it one night when I was assaulted by 3 large guys in Asbury Park and never carried a knife after that I could run faster then them but I am good with a knife.
My feelings are there seems to always be an option out But I'm beginning to re-think that these days around here with all the crime and some friends of authority who tell me it would be a good idea too.
It is a very thoughtful gift. You'll need to talk with her.

PM being sent.

That is so funny!!!! because about 6 months after I met my wife...I did the same thing...SS Colt .380. Nuthin' says love like a jacketed hollow point! ;)

Great gesture on the boyfriend's part, Frank. :thumb:

I bought my first wife a little Baretta .380 "belly gun". After we got divorced, she turned it in to the local police because she was feeling kind of unstable and didn't want to have a gun around the house. (I respect her decision, but wish she'd have turned it over to me instead.) :doh:

Wife #2 already owned her own pistol when we met, although I've never gotten her to go to the range and shoot it. :rolleyes: She's also never handled any of my guns, but that's something that should change in a couple of weeks, since I'm planning to spend some time with my dad at the shooting range when I go back home to visit, and I'm gonna drag LOML along with us. ;)

Like many controversial issues, it's a matter of personal choice. Either choice in this matter comes with responsiblities and potential consequences.
NM is a concealed carry state now. I don't have a problem with that as the license requires safety training by law enforcement.

Like many controversial issues, it's a matter of personal choice. Either choice in this matter comes with responsiblities and potential consequences.
NM is a concealed carry state now. I don't have a problem with that as the license requires safety training by law enforcement.

Arizona just passed a law where you don't need a permit to carry concealed. If ya can legaley buy it then you can conceal it. Alaska and Vermont have similar laws

...NM is a concealed carry state now. I don't have a problem with that as the license requires safety training by law enforcement.

And it's been an open carry state for years, too. That, and concealed in a vehicle is legal, since it's considered to be an extension of one's home. Concealed or not, I think ownership should be hinged on proving you know how to safely and responsibly use it. I'm all for the training requirements that CCP holders have to go though. My dad has been trained with and using handguns since the early '50s when he was on the security force at Los Alamos, but even he learned some new things taking the CCP courses a year or so ago. :thumb:

It is a very special gift. Better to have it and not need it, than to not have it and need it. Really hope she gets the instruction and practice. Some of the .380's can take a while to learn to shoot well.