Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Incorporating the RAS into my shop.

Incorporating the RAS into my shop.

Well, Since I got that pile of plywood, and since I'm off for a couple of weeks, it just doesn't make sense to do a little work on the shop. I'd rather cut up those sheets of ply and make something out of it than move and store them some where.

I also have some other 'finer' projects coming up, and I'd just rather do them in a roomier and cleaner shop than what I currently have...

So, I cleaned out one wall of the shop and am doing some design work on how to best make use of it.

I figure I'll build a new cabinet to hold the RAS, and build a few flip top tables that I'll mount some of the bulkier bench top type tools on. I'll then make 'garage's to park the flipper cabs.

Here's a very rough idea of the layout, and a picture of the wall where everything will go....

Time to get the tape measure out and really start planning some of these things...

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails shop_ras_2.jpg   shop_ras.jpg  

Going to incorporate any dust collection for the RAS? or ports on top for the items that will be used up on the bench?

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails dustcollection.jpg  
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

I like that dust collection idea. Spending today drawing up plans and will start cutting tomorrow I reckon.

I'm figuring I'm going to start with the RAS cabinet first and then the upper cabs. The bench top to the left will be a torsion box, so pretty simple.

I've had shelves pushed up against these walls, and that just doesn't work well for storing stuff because I have to have my tools on stands sitting in front. So I'm thinking with the dedicated garages for the tools, I'll clear up working space. When I need the planer, pull it out, flip it and use it. Same goes for other tools...

Not sure what you mean by ports?

Didn't know if any of the garaged tools would be used on top of that surface next to the RAS (such as a oscillating sander or such). Might be good to put an additional 2" port/dust gate on the back wall to hook up to any tools that your using up there.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

I figured most of those tools would be on stands and wheeled out to be used, but I do like the idea of some smaller DC ports for doing sanding and such. I'll run some plumbing for them while I'm at it!.

Neat DC Darren

Looks like this will keep you busy for a few days Brent
    Faith, Hope & Charity

Looks like a good plan. I've started something similar, Got the OSS and two belt/disc sanders on a roll out under the bench. Next will be the planer and one table saw set up just for box joint cutting. It is really handy to have most of the stuff on mobile bases and HF casters are a good buy, should hold up good if you keep them below 5 MPH and don't go more than a 1/4 mile. Thanks for the tip and inspiration. And also Merry Christmas.

Where your bandsaw is bothers me. Even if on wheels, I use mine so often that pulling it out would be highly impractical. If I were ever to rebuild a shop it would be designed around my lathe, bandsaw and tablesaw.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

I agree with Frank. Those two items DP and Bandsaw have lots of space around them in my shop and they right behind my workbench. I would hate to be pulling them in and out for the number of times i go back to them. Brent i know you wannna get at it but i would hold the horses just a little to think it through before you cut and regret. Its got to be a first saying to you slow down eh. BTW i am speaking from a point of BTDT .
    cheers

Yeah, the BS is rotated oddly in that pic. It will be facing so I could use it directly for small stuff where it is. But the fact of the matter is everything has to be on the perimeter, or else It'd be in the way when I wasn't using it.

On the upside, I think I will get started on the upper cabs and the RAS stand tomorrow. Might need to do a little rewiring on the RAS, but boy it fires up and runs smooth, and the glides easily...

Is this better?

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails shop_ras_3.jpg