Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: History of the Star spangled banner

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix

History of the Star spangled banner

"There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Awesome. People my age were taught these things in grade school. It is my understanding that teachers don't teach this kind of "trivia" anymore. If so, God help our country...we aren't.

Jim
    First of all you have to be smarter than the machine.
    VOTING MEMBER

Very stirring, but maybe more hype than truth. What is wrong with the truth? Is not the real story much better? Of course I was not there, so who knows, but I find this more believable and actually a better telling.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDKfw...eature=related
    Last edited by Bill Satko; 12-23-2010 at 06:41 AM.
    “When love and skill work together, expect a masterpiece.” - John Ruskin
    “Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.” - Oscar Wilde

My wife teaches english and social studies to 7th and 8th grade students. She is no longer surprised at what they were not taught. She passionately takes the time and fights the NEA to make sure the kids know the true history of our country and the sacrifices that they made.
    Faith, Hope & Charity

What is the NEA No Education America?
    "Forget the flat stuff slap something on the spinny thing and lets go, we're burning daylight" Bart Leetch
    "If it ain't round you may be a knuckle dragger""Turners drag their nuckles too, they just do it at a higher RPM"Bart

I used to give my presentation about the Revolutionary Rifleman frequently in schools. Then it eventually came about that the students had not the slightest idea of what I was talking about. They knew (know) nothing about the American Revolution, it simply isn't being taught. For a while I gave a quickie lesson but realized that could not substitute for real teaching in the classroom. To say why this has happened would violate our 'no politics' rule here. I'm bustin' a gut wanting to go into it, but won't.
    I'll be giving my presentation to a large Christian school after the 1st and have been assured they know what the Rev. was all about.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

I would surmise that what is being taught in schools isn't the same everywhere.... I know that the girls (in 10th grade) have had a decent amount of studies on various aspects of our history including a pretty in depth section on the civil war..... so I told one of them about this thread and here is what she said
    "the star spangled banner the song? ok ok Francis Scott Key was a prisoner on a British ship at Ft McHenry in the war of 1812. The British were shooting at, bombarding the fort and it looked like the Americans were pretty much doomed. But then through a little hole in the ship after all the bombarding was done saw that the flag was still there and so he wrote on the back of an envelope a poem which is what is our national anthem and when the envelope was found it became our national anthem".
    She can't remember who found the poem or the specific details of how it became the anthem but said she learned most of it last year. She also said that she learned about the revolutionary war and the battle of Lexington and Concord etc etc..... and that she has notes on all that stuff down stairs in her history notebook which she is saving for AP History next year.
    So perhaps it is not as much what kids are being taught as what they are willing to learn.
    Dragon's Paradox - ** working on updates ** Custom and One Of A Kind Heirloom Quality Hand Crafted Jewelry & Gifts

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Gibson View Post
    My wife teaches english and social studies to 7th and 8th grade students. She is no longer surprised at what they were not taught. She passionately takes the time and fights the NEA to make sure the kids know the true history of our country and the sacrifices that they made.
    Bob,

Maybe the initials are mistyped? Last time I checked, the NEA doesn't have a lot to say about the K-12 curriculum. You know who does? The Texas State Textbook Committee.

Their best one last year? Deciding that John Calvin was way more important than Thomas Jefferson! In the study of American History!

And because their textbook orders are so big, they decide what gets taught in other states. So everyone who says the system is broken is perfectly correct!

It's a pity Jefferson isn't a founding father anymore. I always kind of liked him...

Thanks,

Bill
    Last edited by Bill Lantry; 12-24-2010 at 12:11 AM.

Just a friendly reminder about the CoC. Seems like we are wandering a bit from the original topic of the thread and are veering towards both the religious and political... Thanks in advance for your consideration and cooperation!

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Well lets see we have 3 different version but one thing is certain is that Francis Scott Key was the author
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward