Lets Talk about shops

I played with shop layouts for a while and eventually gave up trying to figure out how much room I needed. I just looked at the yard and the bank account and figured out how much space and money I was willing to dedicate to a shop. I live in a neighborhood that requries brick buildings and it's only a .5 acre lot, so 22x26 is what I decided on. If I was in the county with land and building a metal sided shop, it would have been 30x40 for sure.

If you're limited to your shop size, just build as big as you're comfortable with and adapt your woodworking around it. If you're not limited to shop size, definitely build bigger than you think you need and have a plan for expanding later :)

Rob,
Interesting post... great info here from all...

I built (had it built) shop in a stand alone metal building... it's mounted on 6x8 runners on blocks and was a prefab that was put up in two days... the second day was because the crew brought the wrong roof the first day... it's 12x24 and as Chuck Thoits pointed out, would have been better at 24x24 or 36... don't think I could have doubled the size due to space where I located it... could have set it further down in the yard, but I like it where it is... could use extra space.
I only allowed for 4 x 4' double tube lights... need 2 more... future fix.
also only allowed for plugs every 4 feet around the walls of the shop.. should have gone every 2 feet or else I'll need to put in some kind of track electrical plugs... half my plugs wound up behind some storage racks...
I didn't allow for heating in the winter... fortunately we only have a few really cold days here, so I'll work around that... no A/C for the summer... last summer we were in 100 deg temp in June and through most of the summer... fortunately, I'm a hot weather guy and can work around that with a few fans and such, but would have been nice with A/C... maybe a future fix.
The building isn't air tight, so that will have to be fixed before A/C...
Because it isn't air tight and I live in the country, I fight the wasps and hornets all summer... they've built nest in the walls and sometimes in my D/C shed out side... so far, I just keep a can of spray so I can shoot from a distance, then knock them down....
also get critters eating or chewing up the D/C bags and making nest in the lathes, table mounted band saw, my tool box and the D/C shed...
Maybe the black snake that has taken up residence under the shop can help me with that problem.
I've built a number of shelving units around the walls, and either by design (which I doubt) or by the fact that the widest board I had was a 1x12.. my shelves and cabinets are relatively shallow.
I'm planning a set of drawers under the built in work shelf across the end of the shop... the boards I've got for that are 4" and 6" only... so I'll maintain the idea of the shallow drawers..
I could use more storage space for wood... most of it has been stacked in the yard in log form and under tarps and since I haven't gotten to it all to turn it into bowl blanks and such, some of it is fast reaching point of no return... and will probably wind up in the burn pit.
Shops are by nature an evolving thing... I've been in my shop about 5 1/2 years and so far I'm thinking I've re-arranged about 5 times.

Okay so i know many of you have been at this for donkeys years longer than me. But i thought it would be nice to share some tips and lessons we learned along the way for shop layout.

We got Darren considering shop layout and Brent cutting plywood. Maybe a few of our hard won experiences will help them out in some way shape or form and Rick still has to fill out the interior of his shop. Jebb is breaking ground, Mike is in revamp mode.

Yeah i seen all the guys do the drawings and detailed plans etc by you know the saying "the best made plans of mice and men often go astray";)

For me some of my lessons are

1) Make shallow draws if you plan on storing tools in them. That way they dont pile up.
2) Larry gave me a aha moment when pointing out that the offcuts of wood we keep tend to be the biggest issue to manage when it comes to lumber. Worse if you a guy that cannot stand to throw out scraps. So i am now thinking of a bin for scraps that keep near the table saw.
3) I had planned on fixed machine positions but it seems this is not possible in a small shop. I am still resisting even though my machines are mostly mobile.
4) I am going to try and consolidate the router table into the right hand side of my table saw extension so as to remove one cabinet that neednt be. Whats the general thought on this? Time will tell for me.
5)Build a decent workbench for woodworking. Huge improvement in my work, comfort during working and overall satisfaction. Not just a table to work.
6)Along with 5 it was coming to the aha moment of realizing the workbench is a tool. Its really ones third hand and even fourth depending on how you do it.
7) I wish i had surfaced mounted my any receptacles and made all the wiring suitable for 220v then i could have moved the 220v receptacles around. There aint that big a deal in the one off price of using the yellow i think its 12 guage wire all throughout.

8) My jury is still out on my huge windows. They nice but they ate up a whole wall and half another.

9) Think carefully about the location of the doors. I put mine in the middle but it pretty much caused a waste of a lot of wall space that way.

Things i dont regret spending money on.

1) Wooden floor
2) My infrared heater
3) scissors truss so i get a higher ceiling.
4) Lighting lots and lots of it.
5) Double doors
6) Large electrical panel and lots of receptacles.
7) Running an extra conduit from the house to the shop for telephone cables, smoke detector cable, internet cat 5.

Things i do regret

1) getting carried away with my dust collector purchase while still working in the basement.
2) Using drywall on my outer layer of my shop interior. Mixed feelings here.
3) Leaving a 4ft strip full length of my shop as a porch. Thats 88 sq ft of trully wasted space. We have a deck to sit on. This was just to soften it to the rest of the yard for asthetics.
4)Buying the mobile base for my Dewalt Planner. Well Technically did not buy it it came as a show bundle incentive.
5)Not wiring my lights to switches with differnt banks and putting the main switch in the wrong place. (dont know what i was thinking. :rofl:)
6) Not listening to Stu and finishing the shop before moving in.
7) Making my cupboards with deep draws but that will be changed soon.

I still have a ways to go but these are some of my lessons learned as far as the actual shop goes.

I would love it to be bigger but I got a stand alone shop and consider myself incredibly fortunate where many have to use the garage or basement so i aint complaining. Also i did it as big as the town would allow already so bigger was not possible.

So anyone want to add and share some more advice that the guys in process can consider for their own situation.

I haven't been on this board a lot lately, been busy with other non woodworking projects, but am I missing something? I' sure I'm not the Rick you are referring to. I filled in my shop years ago.

Rob,

Sounds like you got a whole lot right.

I am in my basement. I would love to seal the floor, better yet put in a wood floor, but neither will ever happen.

I have built my shop over 7 years. So little by little I fit stuff in or see an opportunity to create some more storage.

As a lot of y'all will know my big thing is painting walls and ceilings white. It just help the light so much !!

Building a new shop would sorta drive me nuts because of the lasting decisions I would have to make.

Great Thread.

Just feel very lucky and blessed to have what I have.

My latest challenge is all of the new hand tools that I now own. They need a much better home. And now with hand planes I need a real workbench.

It never ends.

Maybe I just need to build some projects !!!!

I've worked out of three shops, none were ideal, so I'm not going to chime in on what 'works'.
I will simply :lurk: and listen, er read.

And there you have it in a nut shell. Most of us work out of shops that are not "ideal" but we deal with the space provided.:thumb:

And there you have it in a nut shell. Most of us work out of shops that are not "ideal" but we deal with the space provided.:thumb:

to give a quick summary:
shop 1 was my side yard with a pair of picnic tables and a chop saw.

shop 2 was a shared 24x 36' barn with dirt floors, hot and cold running chipmunks, but I learned a lot from my partner in crime. we eventually outgrew that and moved to

shop 3. 30x 40' This was close to 'ideal' in that it was a light industrial space, the rent kept going up though (business incubator space)... so eventually it wasn't the best.

shop 4 is my current shop... 12x20', and budgetary issues have kept it unfinished...

shop 5... when I get to va is going to be in the basement of the VA house... probably only minimal tools in there... Shopsmith, 14" BS, Lathe and scrollsaw. Outside will be the planer and jointer, chop saw & my TS (in a 8x10' shed... to control the dust/chips), along with lumber storage until I can afford to either enclose and upgrade the carport or have a pole barn built in one of the side yards.

WOrry less about the environment than the process.

WOrry less about the environment than the process.

Probably some of the best advice so far. :thumb:

Good habits are one thing that was always instilled in us using my Dad's shop and working on his job site. Pickup and clean-up at the end of the day. Every tool should go back where they belong, clean off the machines, and sweep the floor. He even had us restock the wood pile for the stove. Seemed like a pain at the time, but looking back it was enjoyable to just come out, know where everything was, and get several hours of work in without fumbling over stuff that was in the way.

New shop

We have our Florida place up for sale and are moving to southwestern New Mexico. Planning a new shop again is like being a kid again. The new shop will be SMALLER than the current one, simply because the bigger shop with it's extra space is no longer needed. Air and heat bills will be less and won't be so much of a concern.

Old shop tour:
http://www.familywoodworking.org/forums/showthread.php?t=9604&page=2

New shop will be 32x37 heated. The rest of the building will not be. If you have the space, you would be amazed to find that pole barns and steel buildings are not all that expensive. Of course how you finish them can run up the price quite quickly. My main problem will be moving expenses. Any one have a semi? All equipment and shop cabinets are going with me. Just can't stand to sell things for nothing and then go out and buy new.

New shop will have R-30 insulation walls and ceiling and plywood walls. Then utilities are very inexpensive. Machines will still not be on rollers. I just don't like them and will arrange machines so everything can be used without any set up involved.

As far as storage space goes, once you learn how to build some decent shop cabinets, you will have more space than you know what to do with. The smaller your shop, the more critical functional shop cabinets become.

Attachments

• 18drawer.jpg
    18drawer.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 48
  • drawer units.jpg
    drawer units.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 48
Probably some of the best advice so far. :thumb:

Good habits are one thing that was always instilled in us using my Dad's shop and working on his job site. Pickup and clean-up at the end of the day. Every tool should go back where they belong, clean off the machines, and sweep the floor. He even had us restock the wood pile for the stove. Seemed like a pain at the time, but looking back it was enjoyable to just come out, know where everything was, and get several hours of work in without fumbling over stuff that was in the way.

My dad was like that... every tool had a place and if it wasn't in your hand, it should be back in it's place... I practice that today... get in lots of walking in the shop, but I spend a lot less time looking for the tool I just had and laid down someplace... thereby getting more work down.

He was a virgo by birth and a little anal retentive about that... our birthdays are only about 3 weeks apart, so I inherited a lot of his retentiveness... :rofl:

I work like that now that I have my larger shop. I find it's much more pleasurable to work in a clean and organized environment. And it's gotten worse since I setup my cyclone. I just can't stand to leave a mess.

I'm still working on getting my shop cabinets made. I think I'll do something similar to Tom's. I only want to do this once thats why it's taking this long as I want ot work in the shop a little to see how I should set it up for my working style. When I do it though whatever hasn't been moved or used in a few months is going to the dump or being sold.

tom, that is a beautiful LARGE shop.

and you have a bank of fantastic shop cabinets. I believe it was your rolling cabinet I copied at one point.

But for anyone like me with limited space, lets say 1/5 of what you have, mobility and less cabinets is key if you want to have the option of owning and using different tools.

Any cabinet over counter level(or comfortable machine working level) is probably counter productive since it is using space that can be used for a piece of equipment or assembly/work bench. 1500 sq feet is great, but I think the bulk of the weekend warrior type woodworker is working in garage space, or basement space, and then sharing that space with another area of "home life"(laundry room, home storage, etc)

I looked at dozens of articles on shop setups, looked at pros talking about setting up a shop, looked at guys that have 25-40 years more experience than me with woodworking shops, but the problem was they were talking about their shops, or ideal situations. I never saw a pro talking bout well, if you put some shelves over the washer and dryer you could store some wood there.

Small home shops have to be well thought out before the first bench or cabinet is made. I redid my shop 2 times in 3 years. Complete with 25 cabinets, and shelving. rolling wood storage carts, yada, yada, yada.
Then I junked it all and started over because there wasnt any room for any machines.I had plenty of room to store things, like toys I wanted to hide for kids for xmas, but not enough room devoted to woodworking.

I strongly believe everyones shop is very personal to him or her and should be personalized accordingly, not by looking at some pros setup or someone elses set up and try to copy. Its fine to use ideas on how to build a bench or storage rack, cabinets, but those ideas have to be incorporated into the size and the comfort zone in each individuals shop.

I discovered the most important factor in having a garage shop.

PRIORITIES.

Figure out whats the most important things are for yourself, and build your shop around your priorities. Why devote 6 feet of wall space to a beautiful set of spalted maple cabinets to make it look good if you need space for a drill press and sander?
I put a small 16 drawer unit under my mitre saw table, and I havent used more than 3 drawers in it so far.
I will never redo my shop besides maybe trying to make more space in the lumber storage area to give myself more room in the center for more assembly space and easier movement of machines.
I basically encircled myself with my equipment, and keep all my most used equipment in the inner circle, so I can use them with minimum setup/movement. My lesser used equipment sits in the outer circle, and requires the inner circle machines to be moved in order to get to them.
Ofcourse, moving my planer foward to access my drum sander is only 1 minutes work, but everything cant have its own space.

My lathe is the only machine in my garage that would take me moving a few machines to access it and the most time. But I havent touched my lathe in 6 months, so access at this point isnt important.

All this said, I wish I had half the space you have cause Id be in heaven, even if my skills are minimum, my space would be glorious.(and you mention functional cabinets, and if that means well built under a machine, I couldnt agree more)

Many woodworkers do have larger shops, but even those who work in a garage, as I did years ago, can save space by having cabinets that do double duty.

Most machines have space wasting empty space under them, and the space is only good for collecting dirt. With just a little imagination both useful cabinets and shop machines can share the same space. Walk out into your shop and see how much space you could reclaim by using the space under your machines more efficiently.

Today I no longer make cabinets with doors like these, but fill them up with drawers of all sizes. I find drawers to hold far more, especially once you throw away all the useless boxes tools come in.

Anyway, the beauty of the hobby is we can all do things our own way, right?

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 52
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 52
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 53
Lets Talk About Shop Post.doc

Hi,

I like things in order. I did not say I was as neat as I would like. However, when I try to analyze things I like to see them laid out on a sheet of electronic or tree paper.

1 Have the best possible dust collection system and comfortable (1 micron or less filtered) personal mask.
I have had too many friends and relatives die because the alveoli of their lungs became plugged with too many small particles. Therefore dust collection has been a big priority with me. It is the real fine stuff, the stuff you probably cannot see that kills you. In the book “Artist Beware” the author says, “If you can smell it, it is getting to you.”
Many dust collectors get rid of the dust you can see. There are not many that get rid of the very fine dust that injures you.

My DC ducting is all friction fit; No tape, No glue. I have done major rearranging several times in the past three years. Example: I didn’t think I would want a lathe. Mr. Murphy got in his two-cents and decreed I would want one.

I have a very efficient two HP system. It is just barely adequate. I wish I had three HP.
Purchase a larger DC than you think you will need. It is much cheaper to buy it now than to get a smaller one now and then replace it with a larger one later.

See pics below for a general view of the DC ducting and where the ducting goes through the wall into the "outhouse" where the DC resides.

2 Have the best illumination you can afford.
Industrial statistics correlate injuries and quality of illumination. Many years ago there was a group of women who were having injuries. They were sewing black on black. The illumination was improved and the injuries decreased. Think chisels, routers, etc.

3 Have more storage capability than you dream you will ever use.
You will want it.
Deep shelves or shallow? I have two cabinets 4 ft wide x 2 ft deep x 7 ft tall. (See pics at end) I have seldom used things in boxes at the back of the shelves. I have things that are used more often in boxes or setting on the shelf in front of them. I only have to move a box or two to get to the “I use once a month” item. And that sure beats going up into the attic to get the item.
The cabinets contain 16 drawers, 3 inches deep plus 4 drawers 6 3/4 inches deep with cupboards above. All drawers can open all of the way. You really do not want 4 inches in the back that are difficult to access.

4 Remember that there is no wire smaller than 12 ga (except in your I-Pod).
If you put in 14 ga you will be replacing it later with 12 ga.

5 I hang a lot of frequently used items on the outside of my cupboard doors.
Try to plan ahead. My accumulation grew “Like Mopsy” so it is not the best arrangement in the world. However, it still much better than having to open a door or drawer.
My doors contain: Pens, pencils, markers, steel rules, tape measure, dust mask, compass, screwdrivers (blade, phillips, square drive), blue tape, 4 in. adjustable square (bigger squares hang on inside of the door), digital vernier, leather mallet, telephone, calculator, flashlight, pointy probes, razor knife, one plier, bastard file, paper clips on magnet, screw etc. sorting tray, magnifier, etc.

6 Pull wires in wall for future electric wiring

7 Overly large electric panel

8 Plenty of 220 v outlets
They do not have to be connected to power at first. Hook them up as you find need for them.

9 I covered my walls with 3/8 inch plywood.
It hides the irregularity of garage walls better than drywall. You don’t need a stud. You can hang most things anyplace.

10 Have reasonable access to the shop attic.
You will be storing things up there.

11 I don’t care how hard you try, you are going to be buried in cut-offs.

12 Make a place for clamps.
The clamps you need most at position “A” should be very near that position. The clamps you use at “B” should be there. I seldom build large things so my 50 inch clamps are in a homemade rack over the exit door. This is not convenient. However I use them once or twice a year and they are not taking up more valuable real estate in the shop.

13 I do have an IR heater overhead. I have PVC ducts that run around at the same elevation. The IR heater’s reflectors make it so the ducts do not get hot.

14 First Aid Kit
This must be easily accessible even if you are lying on the floor minus a couple fingers.
Make sure you can get to the contents you want even without those fingers.

Last edited:
Jim, I wish my lumber racks looked as neat as yours. For me, I perffer everything in drawers or enclosed cabinets. My shop no matter what always has dust floating in the air. When I set up this shop and hopefully my last move there where several things that I made sure of.

1) supplies nearest the area they will be used(if at all possible) . Sheet stock near main saw, rough lumber on lumber wagon parked next to molders. You will all call me a hick when I get pics of this setup.:D All my screws ,slides, hinges and cabinet supplies are under the assembly table.
2) all wiring ran on the oustide of walls in emt( this makes it easy to move or add as needed.
3) Air cleaners, try to keep the air as clean as possible. Currently running three. One over sanding area, one over saw and last one over the molders.
4) make walkways as wide as possible. I hate hitting my hip on stuff when Im walking past stuff. I like 3', but not all areas can be this wide.
5) Lighting, I am in the proccess of changing all my lights out to 8' t12 HO 120dual bulb fixtures. Plus task lighting on things like routers, bs, sanding area and assembly area.
6) pick a good spot for finishing. Currently I am doing like Tod and spraying in the middle of the shop, which I dont like becouse I have to stop working on other things. Make sure it is has plenty of good color lights. Nothing worse then finishing that project to find out you missed a spot or two, atleast that is what I heard.
7) Which should be #1 a good even floor. I have worked in shops where the floor can be used as a fun room.:rofl: My current shop is the worst. The floor is dirt and once was a horse/cow barn. Ovet the 40' width it drops off about 14":eek: This spring we ar bringing the pump truck and dropping about 20 yards of flowable fill, then 12 yard of concrete to bring the floor up to level. Just wish we could have done it befor all the equipment was brought in. So if anyone is up for excirse.....:rolleyes:

I just added a 32' lean-too on the back of my pole barn shop for firewood storage. I am building a utility room in this so I can move the air compressor and dust collector out of the shop along with all the noise.

My shop is the back 18' of a 32x 40 pole building. I insulated the heck out of it and am heating it with one hot water radiator. It stays 50 degrees until i turn on a fan blowing through the radiator and then I get 60 degrees. perfect working temp. I wish I could use the whole 32x40 building because a shop fills up rather quick. I added a cantilevered loft for wood storage. 4'x 18' over the garage door. It's full. There is an exotic wood rack in the other part of the barn and another loft along the whole wall. They are usually full. i also store wood in the trusses and over the top of the wood shop. I also have wood stored in a friends barn. .........The point is, you never have enough storage.

If I ever get the opportunity to build a dream shop I will have radiant floor heating with a wooden floor over the top. I would consider running dust collection pipes in the cement, and also air lines.

Today i picked up a Sony shelf stereo unit. Much improved atmosphere!:D