Im using cherry for the first time in my life.
I ran into my first problem today with my bed build.
I glued up 8/4 pieces after jointing and planing them to make 3x3 bed posts.
The piece is basically a shaker style headboard and foot board. Detachable bed rails.
The glue up was fine but in 2 spots on 2 different posts I had a bit of what seems like seperation. I used brand new TB2, kept it indoors, and clamped the way I always clamp, and I usually have no glue lines visible when I unclamp.
I was thinking about fix ups for it, but I realized I can turn it inside and when I assemble using the stiles on the panels on the headboard or footboard , they will cover the seam mark. The wood was flat and I let it sit overnight before I glued it up to make sure it stayed flat.
Anyway, all the pieces except the bedrails(5/4 cherry will be used) and the panels are cut. Im hoping to make the raised panels out of spalted maple.
Everything else is cherry that is visible.(the mattress supports will be ash or oak, probably with a sheet of particle board over it)
I cant really show the design, only a really rough, changed 5 times scratch drawing.
I contacted Jason Tuinstra from this site because I admire all of his work.
I find his work as fine as any master furniture maker known. His work is actually what I strive for, even though Id be happy just once creating something 1/10th of his quality.I asked him if he'd mind if I copy a little thing I noticed in a headboard he made on his site. The outside stiles of the panels are curved inwards towards the center,and I really thought they looked great. I know he might not have been the first to do that, but I saw it on his site and didnt want to take credit for the design. Please dont expect anything I build to have the same craftsmanship as Jason, I just really admire his shaker builds.
heres what IM up too so far, finished cutting the dados for the panels. got too cold out there.
the second picture shows how the seam dissapears halfway down, same clamping pressure, so Im guessing the wood might have been planed a tiny bit off, I did have tons of headaches yesterdy with the planer till I replaced the blades.
I made an error when I ordered the bed rail hardware, I wanted the non mortise type, but ordered full mortise style, so I guess I just gave myself more steps.