Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: cherry twin and white oak twin, and now the third bed full size, and frustration!!!!!

cherry twin and white oak twin, and now the third bed full size, and frustration!!!!!

Im using cherry for the first time in my life.
    I ran into my first problem today with my bed build.
    I glued up 8/4 pieces after jointing and planing them to make 3x3 bed posts.
    The piece is basically a shaker style headboard and foot board. Detachable bed rails.
    The glue up was fine but in 2 spots on 2 different posts I had a bit of what seems like seperation. I used brand new TB2, kept it indoors, and clamped the way I always clamp, and I usually have no glue lines visible when I unclamp.
    I was thinking about fix ups for it, but I realized I can turn it inside and when I assemble using the stiles on the panels on the headboard or footboard , they will cover the seam mark. The wood was flat and I let it sit overnight before I glued it up to make sure it stayed flat.
    Anyway, all the pieces except the bedrails(5/4 cherry will be used) and the panels are cut. Im hoping to make the raised panels out of spalted maple.
    Everything else is cherry that is visible.(the mattress supports will be ash or oak, probably with a sheet of particle board over it)
    I cant really show the design, only a really rough, changed 5 times scratch drawing.

I contacted Jason Tuinstra from this site because I admire all of his work.
    I find his work as fine as any master furniture maker known. His work is actually what I strive for, even though Id be happy just once creating something 1/10th of his quality.I asked him if he'd mind if I copy a little thing I noticed in a headboard he made on his site. The outside stiles of the panels are curved inwards towards the center,and I really thought they looked great. I know he might not have been the first to do that, but I saw it on his site and didnt want to take credit for the design. Please dont expect anything I build to have the same craftsmanship as Jason, I just really admire his shaker builds.

heres what IM up too so far, finished cutting the dados for the panels. got too cold out there.

the second picture shows how the seam dissapears halfway down, same clamping pressure, so Im guessing the wood might have been planed a tiny bit off, I did have tons of headaches yesterdy with the planer till I replaced the blades.

I made an error when I ordered the bed rail hardware, I wanted the non mortise type, but ordered full mortise style, so I guess I just gave myself more steps.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails bed 127 (Medium).jpg   bed 128 (Medium).jpg   bed 129 (Medium).jpg   bed 131 (Medium).jpg  
    Last edited by allen levine; 03-11-2011 at 07:56 PM.

Looks goos so far. I like useing cherry, plus it makes the shop smell good.

Your like Popeye when he eats his can of spinache! Looks like a great start and can't wait to see the headboard take shape.

Oh and the shop looks great.

I can't let my wife look at your posts. She thinks that it takes 4 weeks minimum to make anything.

I don't want to lose my alone, quiet time and space.
    Faith, Hope & Charity

Alan i am envious of the way you work. BTW i like your version of sketchup good old school.
    cheers

Looking forward to watching this build.

And if you're going to be influenced by someone, Jason is a great choice. He always does top shelf work.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

bob, I dont think this will be a fast build. I wont be around half of next week and with the cold weather, I really dont know how much time Ill have to get in to work on it. I just needed to start working again building something, plywood and 2x4s are nice, probably more my speed, but my clients are getting more demanding.(maybe one day Ill get paid)

This is approx 9 hours work from picking the lumber, processing it, and cutting to size. Tomorrow I hope to cut some mortises into the dados, and maybe the tenons for the rails and stiles of the panels on both headboard and footboard.
    Im leaving the side rails for last, since they are pretty much straight foward with very little processing.
    I might even start the other twin bed while Im working on this one.
    The next one will be white oak frame and walnut panels.Shaker style again, but not the same design. Hopefully Ill get enough time in the next 30 days before the really cold hits here mid jan thru february.

tenon and mortises cut for the head and foot boards. Need a bit of tweaking still.
    Need to still cut the arched top of the headboard top rail after I cut the tenons. Im shooting for tomorrow, cutting the mortises on the legs and the tenons to fit it all together, and if time permits, Ill start pulling wood for the raised panels and process.

I stood a leg(not the proper long leg for the headboard) just as a straight edge to see how the curved stiles look.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails bed 133 (Medium).jpg   bed 135 (Medium).jpg   bed 132 (Medium).jpg  

Looks Very Good!
    SOMEDAY is not a day of the week

That's some pretty cherry Allen
    Faith, Hope & Charity