Need guidance on finding CNC router

I am a retired newbie located in the St. Louis, MO. area who has fell in love with cnc routers. (I saw a Shark operating in the local Rockler store). I'm a hobby person with no interest in starting a business at this point.
My budget will allow around $4K for a machine and software. After extensive reading and searching I've ruled out the Shark. My problem is I'm unable to locate another machine that is within my budget that has a good support system/forum and I do not want to buy a kit to assemble myself.
I'm now wondering if I should consider a used system and would appreciate any thoughts you'all may have. Does anyone know of companies or individuals in the St. Louis area that may be able to help me?
Thanking you in advance for any help.

Jim

If you've not yet found it, go to cnczone.com. They have a classified section. Also a great forum. Newbies welcome.

Good luck.

My calendar has a cnc build coming up.

Welcome to the family Jim. I'll second CNCZone.com...not that we're trying to get rid of you already. ;) :rofl:

Most of the, lets call them "non-commercial", machines use Mach3 or EMC2 (free) to run the machine, which runs from NC or G Code. You'd need a software like vCarve to design your carvings and convert the drawing to NC or G code. Some guys use Corel Draw to do their designs, but they have to manually setup tooling and clean up the cut paths (NC or G code), vCarve will do much of the work for you.

I've built one of the CNC plans that are posted over there and plan to build another of my own design. I'm sure you could find someone that has one for sale there or someone locally to build one for you that is on that forum. I think some good reading and browsing that forum you'll realize there isn't that much to these machines, but some do have their quirks. That forum is great for support though.

Anyway, If you have questions, I'll be happy to answer what I can. :wave:

Jim...I'm wondering what you found that you did not like about the Shark.

I'm not one inclined to build my own and so I am also very interested in a commercial CNC. I'm leaning towards the new Shop Bot countertop model. Not in your budget area but maybe worth saving towards. I have always like the support of the botters forum and the company itself.

Doug

Darren, what did you build? What did you do with it? What do you plan to build next?

I'm looking hard at Joe's Hybrid.

I originally built the JGRO CNC using the Hobby CNC controller. I just recently put it back together and have been using EMC2 to run it. I've mostly used it for carving out signs and doing some detail work, nothing too exotic.

I've been planning to build one like the design in Geoff Williams' book, which is about 4' x 8'. I've collected all but the longer rails and bearings for them, so looking using the bearing blocks from CNCRouterParts like used on this build. I can always look at replacing them with round linear rails and bearings down the road.

I do like the Joe's Hybrid design. May have to consider those v-groove bearings for use on mine as well.

Kewel! I'll have to look more closely at your resources.

The ShopBot I had used the Vee-groove bearings. If one used that machine hard enough those bearings could become an issue. They rode on the outside corner of the angle iron rails. Wear was becoming an issue.

I think ShopBot has gone to rack and pinion. That's where I am leaning as well.

When are you coming to Arizona. I am really looking forward to sitting down and talking with you!