Night Table- work in progress

Bryan Cowing

A week before Christmas, our #2 son (youngest who just left home a year ago) says he needs a night stand , tired of using a laundry basket! :rofl:
Day 1: Found a plan I can use from a magazine (wood). I made up two raised panels for the sides, this differs from the magazine plan. Dadoed for shelves, made up the base. Turned 4 feet from a left over 5" x 30" column blank, cut it up into 5 pcs @ 6"L.
Day 2: Cut up some 3/4 maple ply I had. Glued up 5/4 for the top, did a test fit, need to reduce length of ply so a 1/4" back will fit. So far, all I have had to buy is a handle, and 1/4-20 T-nuts to fasten the legs. A few pics!

Attachments

• IMG_3748.JPG
    IMG_3748.JPG
    69 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_3658.JPG
    IMG_3658.JPG
    48.2 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_3651.JPG
    IMG_3651.JPG
    66.4 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_3745.JPG
    IMG_3745.JPG
    58 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_3749.JPG
    IMG_3749.JPG
    80.2 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_3750.JPG
    IMG_3750.JPG
    60.7 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_3751.JPG
    IMG_3751.JPG
    66.7 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:
Man Bryan, you're dragging your feet on this almost as bad as Allen Levine. C'mon, can you pick up the pace a little bit? :rofl:

Looking real nice so far. :thumb: You sure get a lot of use out of the Vega duplicator, huh?

Dec 24.... got an hour in today , sized the top, rout the rd overs on top and base, using a 1/2 radius bit dropped 1/8th below R-table. Assemble main carcass, set pcs together for a pic. Back will get screwed on. That way it can be left off so I can spray easier. Same with top and base, then reassemble pcs after spraying.:wave:
IMG_3752.JPG

IMG_3753.JPG

ya gonna spoil him bryan with that beautiful piece. next hes going to tell you hes sleeping on his dirty laundry so you make him a bed and dresser to match.
as usual, its a fantastic piece.

I hear ya, my wife went to my sons home today and I asked her what they did, she told me she changed his sheets. I asked why she does that for him and she says because he doesnt change them. Mommys will always be mommys, no matter how old their babies are.

My spray set up. I cover the old Unisaw with a tarp, lay on a large plywood top with cleats so it is locked on. I raise up the roll up door 6 inches and install a fan to ventilate. The sheets of cardboard helps diffuse the cold air coming in. I'm spraying with a plastic gun , an old Wagner fine coat turbine I bought eons ago. It's great for small projects, not enough power to create clouds of over spray. I'm spraying post cat semi gloss Duravar from ML Campbell. Had a quart left over that I found in the cupboard. Pics are after 2 coats. I just finished #3 and I think thats enough. Once I finish spraying the pieces, I wait 15 minutes to ventilate, then go and close the door in this cold weather.
IMG_3818.JPG

IMG_3819.JPG