Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about Table for my RAS

Question about Table for my RAS

[Reposted from OWWM]

I've recently inherited an old Red Star Multiplex 40-a 12" Radial Arm Saw. This saw was my FIL and it's in pretty good condition. Motor runs good, everything is tight and slides smoothly.

The problem I have is that I need to build a new cabinet and table for it in order to fit it into my shop. I have ordered the "Mr Sawdust" book, but I'm not finding much help online on how to actually build a table for the saw. Specifically how to build the table to enable the 'clamping' of the fence. There's really nothing integral to the saw to enable doing that. I've got a few ideas on what I might be able to do but didn't want to re-invent the wheel. The way the current table was done is a little funky, and I'd rather have something that doesn't require reaching behind the saw to adjust.

I've seen a few threads on how to actually build the table, but nothing ever directly address how to clamp the pieces of the table together.

If anyone here could point me in the right direction, that would be great!

Thanks!

I'll have to ask my dad to verify, but it seems his had the fence built into the adjoining cabinets, which were about 6' on each side, but the bed piece on the saw was not attached. This way he could replace that piece as needed and the fences on each side were one piece when he started and were aligned to one another. When the fence got too cut up, he'd replace the whole thing again with a solid 12' - 14' piece.

Will let you know...
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

I'll tell you what, the folks over on OWWM are pretty quick about things.

From what I can tell, the way the table and fence on the saw were assembled was a bit of a creatively jury rigged affair. I can take pictures later, but it wasn't very solid, or how shall I say, well engineered? It worked, but I'd like something a little better.

What I need to do is get a few pieces of solid bar stock and manufacture a couple of these things.

The table sits on this, and the thumbscrew at the back will press the sliding back table up against the fence to hold it tight...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ras_tablethingy.jpg  

This would be why I didn't see any way to mount the fence. Originally, it was held in places by wedges....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails ras_table_wedges.jpg  

Quote Originally Posted by Brent Dowell View Post
    This would be why I didn't see any way to mount the fence. Originally, it was held in places by wedges....
    Yeah, but your clamp idea looks a lot more elegant!
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!

Lotta good guys over at OWWM.

One of them posted some shots of his table and had something like that. Another guy suggested using toggle clamps instead. Torn between the two ideas. I don't really think I'll be messing with it that much to make the toggles worth it...

See if you can find a Craftsman RAS & take a look at how its system works. They have a threaded piece that dropped into a hole with a threaded rod with a pad like a c-clamp that was threaded that tightened from behind the fence to push & clamp the table top pieces up against the back side of the fence. I have both a 10" & a 12" from the 60's.
    "Forget the flat stuff slap something on the spinny thing and lets go, we're burning daylight" Bart Leetch
    "If it ain't round you may be a knuckle dragger""Turners drag their nuckles too, they just do it at a higher RPM"Bart

Made a little progress on the cabs today. Got the upper cabs manufactured. Will get them installed sometime tomorrow...

Nothing fancy, just ply boxes with ply 3/8 ply backs. Got a little shelf pin drilling jig the other day and drilled holes in them all for adjustable height shelves.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails wallcabs.jpg  
    Last edited by Brent Dowell; 12-25-2010 at 12:38 AM.

My saw has the clamping rails with thumb screws already mounted on the base. Can take a picture but until Monday. Still consumed with Christmas stuf.

I wonder why RAS tables were made of multiple pieces of wood?

because the frt piece got used up from cutting and the back doesnt get the same abuse..and the back fence also gets alot of abuse..
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!