Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: New Kitchen Project

New Kitchen Project

Started panel processing for a new kitchen today. It's going to be a euro kitchen. Interiors are hardrock maple melamine. Doors and drawer fronts are maple. Once parts are cut everything will get dadoed for the backs. Then all the pockets will get cut for pocket screws, edgebanding then assembly.
    I'll post the progess as I go. Here's a few pics from today

Attachment 4807

Attachment 4808

Attachment 4809

Attachment 4810

Attachment 4811

Doug

Steve Clardy Guest
    Great start!!

Your sheet rack is similiar to my new one. Mines 6' wide and already full

How wide is yours?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Clardy View Post
    Great start!!

Your sheet rack is similiar to my new one. Mines 6' wide and already full

How wide is yours?

The base is 8 feet but I didn't want togo any further than about 6 feet so I could still have access to the electrical panel. As you can see I still have sheets stacked against the end. I had a horzontal rack but was too hard to use. I like this setup way better.

Should get everything cut, dadoed and line bored tomorrow. Maybe some assembly on sunday.

Doug

Steve Clardy Guest
    I should have made mine 8', but didn't.
    I thought 6' would be plenty, storing, sorting.
    But I have offcut rips propped beside it now.

Pocket screws?!......... eeeeeeeeeeeekkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Kowaski View Post
    Pocket screws?!......... eeeeeeeeeeeekkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk

Ed I take it you don't like pocket screws? Let me know why. They make a very solid box. I'll post pictures of the box/cabinet construction. The only place I don't use them is attaching the sides to the bottom piece of the upper wall cabinets...I use confirmats there, otherwise you would see the pockets screws on the bottom of the uppers.

Doug

The reason I commented at all is you've made a serious comitment to quality with your machiney, pocket screws seem completely out of place.

I don't like pocket screws. I think they have very limited application in any quality work. I'd rate them at about the same level as dados and staples for particle board boxes, bad.

In your application, kitchen cabinets, I don't get the point of using them at all. Can't use them on the bottom of uppers. Some installs can't use them on the tops of uppers because the tops are visable. 5/8" gables so the screw is about 1/2" into the board allowing for the taper on the end there is what 3/8" of actual screw. That doesn't inspire any confidence in me. I install seperate finished ends so there would be no need to hide screw heads if I used screws.

That's a start on explaining my eeeekkkkkk.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Kowaski View Post
    The reason I commented at all is you've made a serious comitment to quality with your machiney, pocket screws seem completely out of place.

I don't like pocket screws. I think they have very limited application in any quality work. I'd rate them at about the same level as dados and staples for particle board boxes, bad.

In your application, kitchen cabinets, I don't get the point of using them at all. Can't use them on the bottom of uppers. Some installs can't use them on the tops of uppers because the tops are visable. 5/8" gables so the screw is about 1/2" into the board allowing for the taper on the end there is what 3/8" of actual screw. That doesn't inspire any confidence in me. I install seperate finished ends so there would be no need to hide screw heads if I used screws.

That's a start on explaining my eeeekkkkkk.
    First off Ed thanks for your input, I'm always open to opinion. Sorry you don't like pocket screws or faceframes if I remember correctly

But they both have their place. I don't care for dados and staples either but that is the way some people build cabinets.

Not sure what you mean about gables. But the last time I checked that was a roofing term...I'm assuming you are talking about the panel ends of the cabinet when you refer to gables. I don't use 5/8 material for the cabinet boxes....that's just bad It doesn't inspire any confidence in me for a good quality box.

No really I use 3/4 material and the screw goes almost through panel. So it's in there almost 3/4 of an inch. But right you are about not using them on uppers. I use a great screw from Louis and Co. or confirmats, driven through from the outside of the panel and everything is hidden by applied finished end panels.

If you don't use screws or dados then that leaves dowels or biscuts. If you use dowels they won't cut it alone because when the wood dries out and they pull away, look out. Biscuts I feel the same way. Any way to eachs own.

Doug

Here's a few shots from panel processing yesterday. They were taken from my Brother in laws camera phone

Attachment 4867

Attachment 4868

Attachment 4869

Doug

Finished assembling all the cabinets today. Drawers next...

First cabinet

Attachment 4874

More pics

Attachment 4870

Attachment 4871

Attachment 4872

Attachment 4873

And lastly my new shop dog. The loml put him in the bucket so the forklift wouldn't get him.

Attachment 4875

Thanks for looking

Doug