Sprayer Question

Rod Upfold

I received a Earlex 5000 today as a Christmas present.

My first question (probably there will some number in the future) is how long can you leave the finishing media in the gun's container?

Thank you

Rod

i have heard of it being left in there for months but i dont.. i would suggest yu drain out the left over and run the appropriate thinner threw it to get it clean then yu can leave it and not worry about is it good or is it bad.. i use gravity feed and it has thinner or material in it till the job is done..

I tend to shoot, then clean, every time... I'm not a pro, so most likely if I didn't, the jets would get gummed up. I keep an empty pain can around to shoot the excess cleaner into, then take that to the Hazardous materials dump event whenever they have one (Not often enough here in Nevada).

I will leave lacquer in the gun till the job is done. At most two weeks. Poly needs to be cleaned out ASAP. It will plug everthing up. 3M sell a kit that allows you to take the cup off and store the materail in the cup. This saves alot of time on clean up.

I like lacquer for several reasons. The two top are one quick drying(I hate waiting)and two, when done using it, dump out the gun and let the gun soak in a bucket of clean/thinner.

I have one gun that I use almost exclusively for shellac - sealing and top-coating depending on what I'm doing. I only do a major cleaning on it if I need that sprayer for something else. As long as I keep shellac in it, it pretty well cleans itself as soon as I pull the trigger.

If I'm spraying lacquer, I use a different gun. The same rule as my shellac gun generally applies with the exception that, when I complete the project, I clean the gun because I also use it for other finishes.

I use 3 guns, 1 for color paint, 1 for sealer and 1 for finish. I will use tint sealer in tint gun. After I finish I will run LQ thinner through the gun 2 times and be ready for the next. Problems with cups is that I tent to use the gun in all directions with out changing the nasal and material will get into the air chamber of the gun through the hose plastic tube from cup to gun there the material will settle and dry causing uneven spray then a quick clean and back on track.

When things get nasty is when the switch from Lacquer to oil comes. Man everything needs to be clean. So I just do not do oil sprayed finishes. :D
Oil on furniture on furniture! was never intended for spraying hand rubbed finishes are preferred and most effective. I've had guys tell me they can piss coat shellac and get almost a french polish look WHAT :eek::rofl: