Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: tour of my Garage Mahal

Talking tour of my Garage Mahal

Here's a little tour of my shop. It's a 24 x 24 two car garage with 9' ceilings. The wife still parks her car on her half so I have most things on mobile bases. She is very tolerant though and I leave it in shop mode most of the time.
    Since I'm finished up with Christmas projects I spent most of the day yesterday cleaning. It's usually a cluttered mess.

The first two pictures are of the lumber storage rack area. I have a triton rack for the long pieces. It's worked out very well. I put it high on the wall so I could get sheet goods and shorts underneath. I need to come up with a better way to store shorts.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3579 (Medium) (Small).JPG 
Views:	240 
Size:	51.9 KB 
ID:	52705 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3580 (Small).JPG 
Views:	224 
Size:	63.9 KB 
ID:	52706

Here's a couple shots of the shop dogs. The basset is Daisy and the boxer is Joe. Joe doesn't like to have his picture taken.

Name:	IMG_3581 (Small).JPG 
Views:	223 
Size:	46.6 KB 
ID:	52707 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3582 (Small).JPG 
Views:	233 
Size:	59.9 KB 
ID:	52708

The next shot is working down the wall. I have a shelving unit used for storing small turning blanks. I got a deal a couple of years ago on small blanks. The metal cabinet is for storing adhesives and finishes. I put the planer on one of the old ridgid mobile bases. It works well. Next to the cabinet is a work table I made from a couple of recycled science lab cabinets with a reused counter top. You can also see the shop throne which was my grandmothers electric chair. Somehow I ended up "storing" it for my mom after my grandmother passed a few years ago. The batteries are shot and it's a hernia waiting to happen to lift. It is comfortable and I use it as my thinking chair. I also have a mitersaw on a ridgid base. I have a redneck dust collector attached to the saw. If I'm using it a lot I'll attach it to the DC.

Name:	IMG_3583 (Small).JPG 
Views:	263 
Size:	73.4 KB 
ID:	52711 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3584 (Small).JPG 
Views:	265 
Size:	64.1 KB 
ID:	52712

To the right of the lumber rack is a set of shop cabinets I built last year. I kept watching carigslist for used cabinets someone had taken out of their kitchen, but they always wanted WAY to much for used cabs. I built them on the cheap, I've got around 200 total including the lam top. I'll get around to painting the MDF fronts one day. Next to that is my grinding station on another metal storage cabinet. My router table usually lives next to the metal cabinet, but I have a gas heater that I use during the winter so I pull out the router table.

Name:	IMG_3585 (Small).JPG 
Views:	243 
Size:	51.9 KB 
ID:	52713 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3586 (Small).JPG 
Views:	237 
Size:	50.7 KB 
ID:	52714

I started making shaker boxes this year. This is what I came up with to try and organize all the supplies needed.

Name:	IMG_3587 (Small).JPG 
Views:	224 
Size:	58.4 KB 
ID:	52715

Here's a shot of my router table and bandsaw. The router table is based on norm's plans. I put it on casters so I can move it around.

Name:	IMG_3588 (Small).JPG 
Views:	225 
Size:	50.9 KB 
ID:	52716

Continued on the next post.......

continued

Next is the jointer and tablesaw. I have an 8" grizzly and a Delta uni. I've been pleased with both. A friend made a small modification to the end of the rail on the table saw. He was cutting a board with a circular say and didn't have enough overhang on the board. He made a nice kerf on the end of the rail.

Name:	IMG_3589 (Small).JPG 
Views:	160 
Size:	59.3 KB 
ID:	52717 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3590 (Small).JPG 
Views:	155 
Size:	61.7 KB 
ID:	52718

Finally, here's my lathe with some storage underneath. A friend gave me the small drill press next to the lathe. I use it to make oval holes. The bench next to the lathe is for my son. He stands on it when he's using the lathe. I also included a pic of my huge clamp storage area.

Name:	IMG_3591 (Small).JPG 
Views:	149 
Size:	50.7 KB 
ID:	52719Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3592 (Small).JPG 
Views:	149 
Size:	67.4 KB 
ID:	52720Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3593 (Small).JPG 
Views:	141 
Size:	52.9 KB 
ID:	52721

Thanks for looking.
    Last edited by John Daugherty; 12-28-2010 at 04:57 PM.

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Nice looking shop, John
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Looks nice John!

Do you find the floor treatment helps keep the dust down?

Cute little shop assistants too

Yep, nicely done. A little larger than mine and well laid out (though I think it will get smaller as I see there might be room for a few more tools.
    Host of the 2017 Family Woodworking Gathering - Sunken Wood

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

Nice shop. I agree, every shop needs a basset hound or two.

Great looking shop John
    Faith, Hope & Charity

bethel springs TN, but was born and raised in north east PA
    John thanks for the tour. I really like looking at folks shops.And yours looks real good.
    Steve

You should have Brent over. And while he's there had him a chain saw and tell him to re-power the chair.
    It could be worse You could be on fire.
    Stupid hurts.

My thinking chair is up on the hill. Two pieces of 2x10 in an x format (Bog Chair).

My new years resolution is to drag my fat but up there 5 times a week... Been doing it so far this week, and the dogs really like going for the walk. Just wish I did. Oh well, at least I usually do it at the end of the day and take a beer up with me...