Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Plane Restore

Plane Restore

Have seen many, many threads on here about using planes in the wood shop, but understood all the glam about it. Well, I was watching one of the Woodsmith shows this week that I recorded and they covered a lot of the common uses and types of planes. It was a pretty good show and got me inspired to get my planes tuned up.

This one is an old Dunlap that I picked up at an antique store years ago when I was doing construction to resize wood doors. Never liked using it as it just didn't cut well and frankly I didn't know much about them, but it's what I had.

Has a slight skew in the blade that I'll need to get straightened out.

I decided that I should make it look nice if I'm going to go through the process of tuning it, so I've started sanding down the tote and knob back to bare wood as well. I've got a little more work to do on the sole, but it's just about flat, had some rust pits on one side that may not come out.

I guess this is a 3A? That's the only numbers I've seen on it.

Also, Should this type of plane have a crown in the blade? Where the sides are about 1/64" shorter than the center?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20101227_200317.jpg   IMG_20101227_200419.jpg   IMG_20101227_210043.jpg   IMG_20101227_200336.jpg  
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

If the back of that blade looks as rough as the front does, you're gonna have some work to do in lapping it smooth and shiny.

Sharpen the blade at ~30°, and yes put a very slight (no more than the 1/64" you mentioned) on it. Oughtta make a pretty nice user when you're done.
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!

It looks as if has jappaning on the sides as well which I find unusual, what are you going to do with them?

Once you've finished restoring it you'll have a pretty good user IMHO
    Best regards,
    Toni

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    web site:http://www.toniciuraneta.com
    I also dream of a shop with north light where my hands can be busy, my soul rest and my mind wander...

Quote Originally Posted by Toni Ciuraneta View Post
    It looks as if has jappaning on the sides as well which I find unusual, what are you going to do with them?

Once you've finished restoring it you'll have a pretty good user IMHO
    What's Japanning?

I plan to use them to clean up saw marks and fine tuning fits.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

japanning is the black coating that is normally only in the inside of the sole area and on the frog,, thick black paint like stuff
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Quote Originally Posted by larry merlau View Post
    japanning is the black coating that is normally only in the inside of the sole area and on the frog,, thick black paint like stuff
    oops...not anymore, it got removed last night when I was doing the sole...decided to clean up the sides.
    Darren

Quote Originally Posted by Darren Wright View Post
    What's Japanning?
    Pontypooling!

Now, there's an unusual word!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pontypool_japan

Thanks,

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Darren Wright View Post
    oops...not anymore, it got removed last night when I was doing the sole...decided to clean up the sides.
    If it came off easily, it wasn't japanning! That stuff really adheres, and it's usually really thick.

I'm not really sure that Dunlap planes were japanned. They were Sears 'homeowner' line (cheaper than 'Craftsman'), and may well have been just painted. Clean, shiny sides are nicer than painted ones anyway...
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Lantry View Post
    Pontypooling!

Now, there's an unusual word!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pontypool_japan

Thanks,

Bill
    Can't wait to ask someone if they are going to pontypool that plane or just paint it! Thanks!
    “When love and skill work together, expect a masterpiece.” - John Ruskin
    “Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.” - Oscar Wilde

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    "pontypool" can we say that on the forum or is it against the CoC
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward